Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Known Realm of Arcadia

Map The Known Realm of Arcadia

Greetings all!

It has been quite some time since I have posted any maps on here. I have had the opportunity to work on an amazing project and I must give much thanks to this fantastic website and its community. If it were not for this site I wouldn't have been recognized by the author who commissioned me. Thank you Cartographer's Guild!

I present to you The Known Realm of Arcadia. It is a continental map for the up coming book series "The Battle For Arcadia", a very intriguing adult fantasy series that breaks away from today's mainstream fantasy. It will be releasing very soon. If you're interested, keep checking the website for updates www.thebattleforarcadia.com

The map took about 11 months to finish. This is mainly due to being pulled off of the map to help with other art aspects of the project which were equally fun. The map will be featured as a poster which will be available for purchase in the near future. it is comprised of 16 nations and over 160 major locations. I did it in photoshop with my wacom bamboo tablet. Hope you like it.

UPDATE: OK i figured out why it wasnt showing up on the web as it looked in photoshop. It was because i made the whole thing in CMYK for printing to poster. Changing it to RGB did the trick. It shouldnt look so dark now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ArcadiaMapFinalFinal - Copy3.jpg 
Views:	1151 
Size:	3.90 MB 
ID:	40639  
    Last edited by Slylok; 03-16-2012 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Deleted broken link
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Ewww.. Yuck, this is absoultely horrible....

JUST KIDDING! This is bloody amazing my man, one of the best maps i've seen!

Blog Entries

Very nice, though there are a couple of issues.

The obviously computer generated halo behind the text, and the 'carved' 3d look of the title contrast with the 'drawn on paper' look of the rest of the map, and a 'Capitol' is a building, cities are 'Capital's.

Also the inset, scale bar, and compass don't match up. Assuming the inset map is correct, the map is in a Stereographic projection with the centre of projection near the southeast corner. That means that compass bearings would vary considerably over the map, and the scale would vary from being true in the southeast, to everything being about about 1.5-2 times too long (or 3-4 times too big) in the northwest.

Still, gorgeous too look at.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Fantastic, Slylok! Rich and full of detail.
    How did you make the ornamental border?

Fantastic map and a great piece of art. Well done!
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Beautiful map, I'll just swing my +15 broadsword of ultra cool repping on you

on a different note it would be cool if you could use the "attachment" function to actually attach a version of your map to the post - that way it will be saved for posterity no matter what happens to the other page
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

oh, and a little side note for the creators of the website. The picture looks really cool - however ...
    1. Doesn't say what it is, if you hadn't said fantasy series I would have thought it was a computer game.
    2. Only way to follow what happens is on twitter - ie. when I don't really use twitter I can't follow news on the game and as they don't even have a sign up for a newsletter (or just a get a mail when we launch) people might just forget about the page again and never return.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

A beautiful map, if a bit dark. I find it hard to read some of the labels. But beautiful nonetheless!

Superb work....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast