Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Back to Easteorra (Overhaul & Coloration)

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Wip Back to Easteorra (Overhaul & Coloration)

After having recently finished my first colored custom map I thought I'd go back to my first custom black and white map and give it an overhaul and a paintjob. I hope to apply all the small tweaks and features I've learned in the meantime. I hope you'll be there with me while I do that.

Easteorra, WIP
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EASTEORRA Upload 1.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	592.2 KB 
ID:	76206

Easteorra, Old

Name:	cc66d8b289dadb6a4299c5b6b6c19d09-d8nuiy6.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	76207
    Last edited by Wired; 09-21-2015 at 05:24 PM.

Hey Wired, cool idea. Looking forward to see what you'll do with this nice b/w map of yours. So, no need to panic, i'll be there! (though mostly to crib some of your tips and tricks...)
    Btw.: i think there is a wrong link. It directs me to the Easteorra "Finished Maps" post, not to the colored map (forgot the name sorry) you made recently.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Whoops, you're right, I wrongly placed the hyperlink. Should be correct now (I mean the placement; it was always intended to show Easteorra).

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Oh yeah, I remember that map. I remember LOVING it!

I always like watching a map remake.

The black & white is beautiful and a great start on the base color, I'm looking forward to seeing this develop.

Interesting! I want to colour a B&W map I did recently, so I'm eager to see where you go with this. I do like the colours you've chosen so far. They're very striking.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Interesting! I want to colour a B&W map I did recently, so I'm eager to see where you go with this. I do like the colours you've chosen so far. They're very striking.
    Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    The black & white is beautiful and a great start on the base color, I'm looking forward to seeing this develop.
    Thank you; I tried to go with a less vibrant blue for the ocean compared to my other colored map, and with a darker, less saturated base parchment texture. Let's see how that goes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Oh yeah, I remember that map. I remember LOVING it!

I always like watching a map remake.
    I'll try not to disappoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Hey Wired, cool idea. Looking forward to see what you'll do with this nice b/w map of yours. So, no need to panic, i'll be there! (though mostly to crib some of your tips and tricks...) ...
    Lol, going by the speed by which your own maps improve I might soon be the one standing in line for tips and tricks.
    Last edited by Wired; 09-22-2015 at 04:57 PM.

*sigh* I actually wanted to show you guys a bit more progress on this piece this morning, so I took my tablet along when I drove to my GF. Turns out her laptop and her barebones version of PS 5 really aren't weren't all too cooperative in that regard. The pressure sensitivity doesn't really work out for some reason, and the whole thing is lagging like am image-rich website on a 56K modem. So much for that effort, so here's just the lineart for the mountains, a few rivers and a beach layer.

Name:	EASTEORRA.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	642.6 KB 
ID:	76274

Question: Do you think it'd look better if I used the underlying ocean layer for the rivers, too, meaning I cut the riers from the land parchment rather than draw them on it?
    Last edited by Wired; 09-26-2015 at 08:57 AM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I think you're better off drawing the rivers. Every time I've seen someone (or tried to do it myself) cut out the rivers from the land layer, it looks clunky and wrong. Obviously there are a couple of exceptions, but I think you get much better control and appearance just drawing them in.
    Last edited by Diamond; 10-02-2015 at 10:53 AM.

Okay, update time. Added the hills, a few of the cliffs, new features for the central plains which used to be pretty empty before, and started drawing the forests. Which is the reason I'm taking a break right now. Man, drawing all those trees really tortures your wrist, and I haven't even started with the large forests yet!

Name:	EASTEORRA Upload 2.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	76473

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast