Thread: What ya know there are people who like playing around with maps

Guild Novice

Post What ya know there are people who like playing around with maps

I have for years been interested in fantasy maps. Most of the maps I make are for real the real world. In the mid 70's I was introduced to Greyhawk. I immediately became a D&D Geek. I love playing around with pencil and paper to create maps. When the World of Greyhawk boxed set came out I feel in love with the maps enclosed. Unfortunately I could never find a really good electronic version of the original set. About a month ago I decided that I would re-create the original. The software I'm using doesn't however create hexes (real world), but I forged ahead and I've created a pretty nice map. Now however I need some info that I really haven't been able to find. Hopefully I'll get it here, but if I don't then I'm sure I'm gonna have fun.

Thanks for reading.

Hi there Incensedpanther, welcome to the Guild! You should post up your Greyhawk map, I'm sure there are many people who would love to see it and perhaps use it for their own campaigns. I don't know what program you used to create the map, but if you import it into GIMP, and download the Hex Grid Plugin you can insert a hex grid over the map.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hello fellow 'Hawker !! The Wonderful world of Greyhawk also inspired me many many years ago. You've come to the right place for inspiration and help. We would love to see your work And maybe to help a little with the inspiration (and a shameless plug ) HERE is a version of the Western Flanaess that I created.
    Last edited by jtougas; 07-17-2012 at 08:14 PM.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome to the Guild!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guild Novice

Thanks all. I used ArcView. The last time I used a cartography programming dedicated to programming was the original CC. I'll look into Gimp, because I would like to put a hex over the map. I'll post the map, but you've got to understand that I was trying to re-create the original so don't expect a 3d relief map. I really am only doing this in spare time between projects at work, and creating DEM is a bit more extensive than I really want to go into. So now I'm off to try to figure out how to post the map. I'm really new at boards like this so I'm having some problems figuring out how to do things.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Posting here is very simple. Here is a quick step by step:

1.Pick the section of the forum you'd like to post to (there are sections dedicated to all aspects of mapping EX:regional/world mapping city/town mapping building/structure mapping etc etc...)
    2. Once you find the section you are looking for click "start new thread"
    3. you will see the box that you've used to type here. Click "go advanced" on the bottom
    4. Type whatever you want in the box.
    5. After you are done with your text hit enter at least once to move the cursor down to an "empty" section of the box.
    6. On the top of the box you will see a bunch of icons. Click the one that looks like a "paperclip" this is the "Attachment" icon.
    7. Once you click that a new window will open where you can upload your image.
    8. Click "add files" and find your image on your computer.
    9. Once you have found your image click "upload" (a note here the max file size is 5MB but try to stay a little below that)
    10. Once your file is uploaded it will appear in a small box on the bottom of the attachment manager (it should have a little check mark in the corner)
    11. On the bottom of the attachment manager there will be a button that says "insert inline" click that. (this is why you want your cursor in an empty space of the text box)
    12. A line of code will appear that will allow your image to be displayed as a "thumbnail" and when clicked on will open a new window with the full sized image.

That's all there is to it. I hope this was helpful and I look forward to seeing your work
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Novice

Okay I posted it in the Regional/world map as a wip.