Thread: First Post... and a world map (WIP)

Wip First Post... and a world map (WIP)

Not my first map - I've done some before - but my first world map on that scale. And my first post here.

Well, I'm still working on it - and want as much critique as possible!

Cheers, LT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewWorld1.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	3449  

Welcome to the Guild LT! Nice colours, but the mountains look like stamps which could perhaps use a little more variation if you're going for a realistic look.

You have done a great job so far. I especially like the small divide between the two continents and all the islands which are slightly broken off the mainland(s).

One quick thing (from someone who could only wish to do half as good as you have) is that there are several places along the coast that look like "bite" marks when viewed at full size. This is especially noticable between the large island and the mainland two inches above the left most side of the red distance marker you have along the bottom.

Joe

Something that jumps out at me is the place where your two northwestern mountain ranges cross, it looks like the heightfields have been added together, and the resulting whites were too high, resulting in a plateau. The technical word for this effect is "clipping." There are a couple of other places where it's happening, too. A little southeast of the intersection, for instance.

I don't know how precisely you constructed that heightfield, but you might look at whatever technique you used to combine the different ranges and see if you can't do something to reduce the clipping. Maybe just select that spot by color, and throw some clouds in it.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Very nice map - and glad to see another EN World mapper make it over to the Guild.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales