Thread: ORBIS - travel in antiquity

Default ORBIS - travel in antiquity

I don't know if this has been posted here before or not (I tried a search and couldn't find anything) or if this is the right thread (I hope so). Anyway this is a great page about travelling during the roman time. You can search on fastest, shortest and cheapest trip.

It is called ORBIS and is The Stanford Geospatial Network Model of the Roman World reconstructs the time cost and financial expense associated with a wide range of different types of travel in antiquity. The model is based on a simplified version of the giant network of cities, roads, rivers and sea lanes that framed movement across the Roman Empire. It broadly reflects conditions around 200 CE but also covers a few sites and roads created in late antiquity.

It is absolutely fantastic and gives you a lot of ideas on how to construct a world, from a travelling point of view.
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

I've never had a web page tell me I couldn't access it unless I upgraded to Internet Explorer 9 first, until now.
    Can someone confirm the site really is, what it claims to be before I consider a browser upgrade just to view one site.

Hello atpollard,
    The site is what it claims to be. I'm using chrome to use it, works perfectly.
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

works on firefox as well

nice find!
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Cool chicken noodles! This is interesting

Guild Novice

Very kewl site... Messed around quite a bit and am using it to gauge travel distances and scale my own fantasy maps accordingly. Very easy to use - just select start and end destination and what means of travel and what cost/speed and viola, a few seconds later it maps out a route across the ancient Roman empire... brilliant...

Just visited, cool info. I noticed something which I wonder if it is true. It seems from the map aif you wanted to avoid Roman domination all you had to do was live in an inhospitable area LOL. They made no attempt to penetrate into northern africa wastes LOL or into the harsher NE European areas. Wonder if this was really the case?