Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Map (Critique!)

Wip First Map (Critique!)

This is my first post here... so much pressure! I've been doodling maps for stories I write since I was about 8, and I really dig science (I'm just not very good at it), so lately I've been wanting to develop more realistic and plausible worlds. I created a map a few years ago on pen and paper, and it was 'okay.' I considered tectonics, but not winds or currents, the little details.

Anyhow, here I am with my first foray into serious world-making, and I'd love to get some feedback from the pros. The only real thing of note is that this world has a smaller axial tilt. I'm still considering currents and winds, but I'm in over my head there, and I'd like to make sure I'm off on the right foot first!

Edit: Original map abandoned, scroll down a bit for the current project =) Thank you
    Last edited by Ourea; 07-19-2012 at 04:13 PM.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected rpgmapmaker's Avatar

Wow you got some nice coastlines. As to the climate, sorry but I don't know much about that... however I would imagine that the smaller axial tilt is the least of your worries for climate... and that the tectonic activity that made the cost lines the way they are might affect the habitability of the coastal areas...

I also imagine that if there is less tilt the equator area might get hotter than here on earth and so be more of a desert and the area at the top and bottom would be colder.... but like I said I am not much for climate and would also like to hear some of our pro's weigh in on this.

You have nice clean lines. I see hand-drawn elements like you might have a tablet as well... What software are you using?

Good job so far and welcome to the guild!
    @BHfuturist Check out my Video Tutorials & Vault of Free Map Elements
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

From what I've read, there is a much more dramatic temperature gradient with a lower axial tilt, but this can (supposedly?) be addressed by the currents to create a more stable environment. But I know as much about climate as I do about tectonics, heh. From what I can guess, there would be a good bit of tectonic activity.. I'm not 100% pleased with the continents, so I may adjust them further (and hopefully lessen the chance of earthquakes where I'd planned for cities!).

I'm using PS CS3 and a Bamboo Thank you!

Are the orange and yellow areas deserts? The reason I ask is that they appear to be rain shadow deserts on the eastern continent. They might be on the wrong side of the mountains, if your planet rotates in the same direction that the earth does. It also would depend on how your currents run, but they just seem a little close to your oceans to be that extensive. Otherwise, it looks good.

Disregard OP map... I went ahead and spent the day re-doing the continents. I think I'm a little happier with them now (and hopefully I addressed the weirdness of the rain shadows and volatile tectonics!). Only the very brown/tan is desert; the lighter is dry-ish land, plains and whatnot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-2 copy.png 
Views:	183 
Size:	225.6 KB 
ID:	43793
    Last edited by Ourea; 04-06-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Joshua's Avatar

The orginal continents were awesome in that it really looked like they could've at one point been from the same super landmass. If I were you, I'd pursue both of these as separate projects. They're both off to a good start.
    Yes, I'm colorblind. But my pink fields and orange forests are avant garde!!

I'm with Joshua on this one. I really like the first map (not that the second one is bad, mind you!) and I'd persue it as well. Have some rep.!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Adept

You've probably got some climate issues assuming the world is spinning like Earth. Remember a simple basic premise: winds in the tropics tend east to west, and switch to west to east in the mid latitudes, with jet streams that travel west-east. That jungly looking region on the west side of the mountains probably wouldn't be all that wet, and the east coast would be soaked by rains, being both on the warmer current east coast and that close to the ITCZ. West coast tend to be drier than east coasts due to surface ocean current temperatures and cool waters equals dry, warm waters equal wet.

That desert looking area on the eastern continent is right in the middle of the ITCZ and is an unlikely location for a desert, whereas north of that in between two mountain ranges is a good bet for desert with rain shadows and high pressure zones north of the ITCZ.

Wip

Thank you, Valdehar! A lot of this climate stuff goes right over my head, and it's hard to find concise info that applies to make-believe worlds I didn't have a chance to read your comment before refining it further, but I hope it isn't quite so off anymore (I'm sure I've messed up in some new way, though).

And thank you everyone else for your kind words and helpfulness!

Here's what I have, now. The working file is 2x as large. It's interesting how much filters contribute to a finished look!

Name:	wipcopy.png 
Views:	151 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	43828
    Last edited by Ourea; 04-08-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Updated.. Turned the desert in the northern part of the eastern continent into more of a savannah.. I figured despite being between two mountain ranges, it would receive sufficient rainfall for some vegetation, though it'll still be a bit dry. I've also added some major rivers (hopefully without major flaws)!

I also added dots for cities. I'm unsure about a few of them; hopefully they're realistic enough! Little plots and ideas are starting to form I'll begin marking territories soon, I hope.

Name:	wip2 copy.png 
Views:	131 
Size:	2.91 MB 
ID:	43847

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast