Thread: Abraon - WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice Facebook Connected Todd Payne's Avatar

Wip First Map - Abraon [WIP]

So this is my first attempt at mapping on anything other than a piece of paper.

I used Tear's wonderful Saderan tutorial - which basically entailed me relearning a lot of things I already knew about Photoshop. Honestly, going from photo-retouching to mapping is not as easy as it seems.

Anyway...

This is Abraon (the Gaelic word for "April" with a direct translation of "rainfall"). It is the world that I write short stories in; however, most of my stories have been set around the one area (southern area of the main continent, near the large lake with the island in the centre) and I'd never fully mapped the rest of the world. So it is a work (and world) in progress.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Abraon-WIP.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	3.69 MB 
ID:	46674
    Last edited by Todd Payne; 07-18-2012 at 03:03 AM.

Rejigged the rivers - and a couple of mountains - because I wasn't happy with them.

Now to work out map-markers and labels...

Views:	102 
Size:	3.73 MB 
ID:	46684

If you are going for a realistic touch of a map, I would add some more sub-rivers to the existing ones. If this is a map over the whole world, and if the size of the planet is similar to earth, then the mountains may be too huge or beveled.
    Overall, I like the colors, and the texture on the ground and forest are nice. Maybe to much depth on the forests though.

But this is my personal ramble of course. It's always hard to judge the work of others, because nothing is right or wrong.

Overall, the continent is about the same size as South America.

I'm still not 100% happy with the mountains - though I seem to sway from too bevelled to too soft. So that'll take a bit of work. And I definitely agree with the forests. Again, trying to find a happy medium.

But thank you for the feedback

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

I like your start here. You coudl use different Colors for the terrain if the climate is different from the far north to the deep south of your map. Here most of it still looks a bit too coherent for such a large continent.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    I like your start here. You coudl use different Colors for the terrain if the climate is different from the far north to the deep south of your map. Here most of it still looks a bit too coherent for such a large continent.
    I haven't finalised the colours yet because I'm still trying to get myself to a landform that I'm happy with. The north of the map will definitely be more snow-laden though, so I will be introducing some whites and light-blues, I think.

Currently in the process of considering a style change though. Playing with a couple of options to see if I can find something to suit myself.

Okay new direction for the map. Rivers are "placeholders" from Wilbur until I'm ready to draw them in properly.

Busy placing mountains at the moment, using Vhailor27/Ramah's Aronbor brushes. Once they're done, will add colour and texture to them.

Views:	120 
Size:	3.12 MB 
ID:	46867

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Alright, this could turn out well. I think the transition from warmer to colder lands is too sudden, though. I'd say blend the colors where they meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphine_Harmonium View Post
    Alright, this could turn out well. I think the transition from warmer to colder lands is too sudden, though. I'd say blend the colors where they meet.
    Yea, I will blend them together better. I just hadn't bothered yet because how blending I'll need will depend on mountain placement.