Thread: Help me rebuild my map?

Help Help me rebuild my map?

I recently created a new world map for a novel that is in the works I have geographical Ideas but I am having so much trouble putting it on paper on the first attempt it looked like a landmass in the shape of a vertical column. I need Ideas for how to shape the terrain. I can post the first rough sketch and go into detail about my ideas for what is were if people are curious.

Guild Novice

Hello Celtickid,

I have the same problem. I now started to redesign my map. Maybe we could help eachother. I think it is easier to see mistakes on other maps then on your own. Here is the link to my Thread: Map.

I also posted in my thread two links where I started to create my map.

If you upload your map I will take a look at it.

After starting and re-starting my first project a few times, I found starting with tectonic plates to be the easiest way to go. Draw about 3 largeish and a few medium plates with shared borders (about 5-7 total including 1 arctic plate), and then figure out the directions they're going. Different meetings of plates cause different features, there's good resources here and around the Internet on that, and that'll give you a basic idea for mountains, chasms, deepwater trenches and a few new island chains. Then just draw some vague shapes based around where you know you want certain features, and piece the rest together like a puzzle taken apart, based on tectonic movement. Voila, instant world. Then just remember basic stuff like deserts at 30 degrees, rain shadows, and rivers start at mountains and flow toward the ocean, and you should have a fairly believable world.

Guild Novice

Yo,

Celtickid ... do you have anything new? Could you upload something so I can take a look at it?

C ya.