Thread: Neophyte Map-making Seeker

Post Neophyte Map-making Seeker

Salutations! My name is Darryl, but you can call me Shadow. It makes me sound mysterious...right? *cue cricket noises* I'm a 16-year-old high school student with a fiery passion for all things creative. I'm big into writing (working on a novel and have written tons of short stories and poetry) and music (I play piano, viola, sing, and compose pieces with Finale). The one thing that has saddened me is that I seem to have zero talent in the visual arts. My hand is completely unsteady, and I have absolutely no idea how to turn lines, shapes, and colors into something beautiful and wondrous like several people can.

As a spin-off of my mentioned interests, I have an intense interest in world building. The idea of creating a world of my own is just amazing. Like I said, I love creativity and this is just pure creation.

So you see, I pretty much have the writing and imagination part down. I can even compose haunting melodies and folk songs for the various races and civilizations that I craft. What would make this awesome would be for me to be able to create beautiful maps and possibly (eventually, though i won't hold my breath) landscapes, scenes, or pictures of people and races. Don't know if I'll be able to find help with all of that here, but from what I've seen, map-making should not be a problem.

So, if you could all help me out and possibly be a mentor to me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Shadow

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome !! you already seem to have an incredible grasp of things creative and mapping is just an extension of that. I am a writer and untill I tried (and tried and tried...) I didn't think I could create maps either. I find that the story suggests the "feeling" of the map and that's what I try to create when I create a map the "feeling" and that stems from creativity which you seem to have in abundance. Check out the tutorial section find a style that you like and dive in. Post your work in one of the WIP sections and ask for feedback. I think you'll find that we are a helpful bunch. Before long you'll be able to add "map-maker" to your already impressive list of talents.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Thanks for responding! I was worried that everyone would be too busy drawing to deal with an inexperienced newbie. It's so great to meet a fellow writer on here! And after browsing your maps, I have hope that I might one day be able to get the hang of map-making. If mine turn out half as good as some of yours, I'll be satisfied.

I'm currently attempting to download GIMP, but it's giving me issues. I posted a thread in Software Discussion hoping that someone can help me out. Hopefully my issue will get resolved and I can start map-making.

Welcome to the guild Shadow! JT is right on the money. Allot of people come here thinking that there is no way they will ever be able to produce artistic maps. Then they start messing around with the tutorials and end up creating maps that far exceed their expectations. So best of luck to you in your quest.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Like JT and arsheesh were hinting at, EVERY mappers starts with the problem of figuring out what to do with the blank sheet in front of them. Even the best mappers we have here started where you are at some point...how far you progress and how fast that progress goes all depends on your effort. And believe me, effort is required. We have great tools here and an honest desire to get you there as fast as you want to go. Posting your efforts in the WIP forums is the best way to get the help you need.

Enjoy your stay in the Guild, the Mappiest Place on the Web
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent