Thread: Re-creation of Original Greyhawk.

Guild Novice

Wip Re-creation of Original Greyhawk.

I had to lower the dpi to 190 to get this below 5mb. This map doesn't really show any kind of coordinate reference. I do have it projected to 54° N, 23° E, but as there really is no longitude reference in the Greyhawk manuals I really was just kinda putting anywhere on the globe. Please note that my objective here was to re-create the original since I couldn't find a really good copy and Kinko's won't let you scan copyrighted material even for personal use.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oerth_190dpi.png 
Views:	1327 
Size:	4.64 MB 
ID:	46691

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks great It's a little strange for me to look at a map of the Flanaess and not see my Kingdom of Shendenflar after having it be there for almost 30 years.. Overlaying a hex grid on this should be fairly easy.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Novice

I've been looking at stuff online for a while. I've seen many different version of Greyhawk. Many/Most are of course way better than this, but my objective was certainly different than the others. The living growing Greyhawk is a beautiful thing. I'm really impressed with so many different version. I've really been impressed with Anna Myers work (I believe that she is on here as "Anna"). But again that's a different and more complex level of difficult that I'm not willing to tackle as a hobby. Glad you like it. Feel free to suck into your system, and modify as you would for your own purposes. I'm going to look into GIMP, and see about getting a hex over this. That would really go a long way to making it look more like the original.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think that's one of the most fascinating things about WoG (or any long running campaign setting) the sheer diversity of versions of it. My map of the Flanaess is set just a few years after the Greyhawk Wars although in my map I haven't shown any of the new political boundaries. Anna's work is amazing as is her dedication to mapping every square mile of the continent. I have been playing and writing in the WoG for almost 30 years and have no intention of stopping anytime soon

*EDIT* here is a map of a "ward" of my city of Riverhewn (the capital city of the Kingdom of Shendenflar) I did this in a "old school" TSR style with a hex grid overlay so you can get an idea of what it looks like.

HERE is the link to the Hex Grid Plugin for GIMP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	City Ward Final.jpg 
Views:	950 
Size:	591.9 KB 
ID:	46693
    Last edited by jtougas; 07-18-2012 at 03:15 PM.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Novice

What a cool map. Love the City stuff. I've always had trouble with making cities. I tend to get to wrapped up in the details. I've always run my own campaign of Greyhawk. I've never followed anyones lead. The diversity of Greyhawk is awesome. The turns in the timelines, and the paths that other DM's have followed always gives me great ideas. None of which I've put into play for the last 7 years. I fear it will be sometime before I really get back to it. My six year old has ASD, and has celliacs. Then you add into the mix the work that goes into running a 5 acre farm/ranch, and it doesn't leave a whole lot of time. If I ever do run another campaign I will at least be more prepared than I ever was in paste. Preping a game, is a great way to set the mind a reeling.