Thread: Muyremere - WIP

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Wip Muyremere - WIP

Here's the new project I'm working on. It's a map of the conworld kingdom I'm trying to flesh out. It's based on an earlier hand-drawn version that I wrecked trying to colour it by hand.

The main goal is to provide some background for the town & city maps, dungeons and what-not I still want to do, and I'm doing it completely digitally so I have the option of coming back and changing things later. I'm not really sure where it's going to go. There are so many styles to try and I have trouble just aiming for one and going for it. Right now, I'm thinking of a Blaeu-style map like the original drawing, but I might even bin it all and start over if I don't like it. Then there's the problem of drawing digitally: my tablet pen just doesn't feel like my trusted microns and looking at a screen while drawing on a tablet is just ... well ... different Regardless, even if the end result isn't pretty, it will still be useful to me.

WIP screenshot. I will post something better once I've made some progress.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	muyremere wip1.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	559.2 KB 
ID:	46723

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Klaus van der Kroft's Avatar

You have a very nice thing going on. The shape of the territory is appealing, and I really like your hand-drawn mountains.

I also had a lot of troubles adjusting to drawing with a tablet (and, to further the issue, I was never too good with read pencils to begin), but eventually it just started to work; I guess it is practice, practice, practice. While there are still some things I don't feel quite comfortable drawing with a tablet, most map-making now feels rather natural. So give it time and I'm sure you'll get a hold of it. You certainly have a great starting point as I see here.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

You are doing quiet a range of different map projects! I like your way of rethinking and the ability to redo things if its nessesary. Hope to see more soon.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

This mapping project is turning into more of a learn-more-photoshopping-skillz-by-mucking-about-experience but I'm not complaining.
    I drew some trees on graph paper and scanned them to make some tree brushes (first time ever), and I'm thinking of doing the same for the mountains. I drew some river outlines, both using the pen tool and a hard brush. Then did the same thing for roads. The roads I then selected and stroked them in a different layer.
    I still don't know where I'm going but I'm quite happy just wandering around

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	muyremere wip4.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	917.7 KB 
ID:	46826