Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any need for writers?

Question Any need for writers?

Hello there! Now this, this is what I'm talking about. I love world-building. Absolutely adore the entire concept. As my map-making skills have yet to be tapped into at all (they frankly suck at the moment), I was wondering if you would be in the need of writers for creating races, people, stories, creatures, plants, history, deities, culture, magic, etc.

If you do find that there would be a place where this particular talent of mine could be utilized, that would be great! I could get started right away, and I could even set up templates of guidelines for other writers to follow. Here's an example of a creature template that I just wrote off of the top of my head:

Name: Feel free to add both common names and scientific names. Maybe even some folky names. For instance, the Fairswath Bird could have a nickname of Whisperwind because of it's incredible speed and/or its ability to camouflage its feathers to remain undetected.

Classification: First, is it a Flying creature? An Aquatic Creature? A Land creature? Second, what type of said creature is it? A bird? A Dragon? A fish? A shark? A monster perhaps? We could go pretty in-depth with this.

Overview:Perhaps a brief paragraph about the creature for those only wanting a cursory glance?

Appearance: What does it look like? Be incredibly creative and descriptive.

Temperament: How do they react to each other? How are they socially? Are they lone and isolated, or do they like to form large groups? How are they with other species? Are they aggressive and territorial, or are they passive and docile?

Habitat/Location: Where do they reside in this world of ours, and in what type of climate do they fair best? What nests/burrows do they make for shelter? Do they live close to water?

Reproduction Method/Mating: How do they reproduce and give birth? Are they asexual? Do they mate for life? Do they lay eggs or undergo live birth? Do they reproduce by budding (breaking off parts of themselves that will grow into an identical version)? Do a significant number of these creatures have a tendency to form same-sex matings? Endless possibilities here.

Diet/Predators: What do they eat and what eats them? This is great for cross-referencing.

Myth/Lore: What spooky tales or light-hearted limericks are told about these fantastic beasts?

Miscellaneous: Anything that isn't covered elsewhere can go here. Perhaps the creature is magic? Perhaps it has special abilities that make it incredibly unique, such as generating electricity, abnormal flight, telepathy, above average intelligence, shape-shifting, etc. You can really go crazy in this section.
    I can create several templates of this nature, and they can be modified to satisfaction as well. I'm really hoping that I'll be able to help in some way.

I'm open to commissions wanting me to create a creature (or other archetype listed above) that does such-and-such for *blank* area. Requests can be as detailed or vague as you'd like (though I like the ones that give me wiggle room ) I can also simply create things purely from my imagination and let you guys pick and choose which ones you'd like for your areas. This would of course be first-come-first-serve per what type of climate these creatures can live in. Then, they can be picked to live in areas with a similar climate.

I can also write entries for places. I can make a template for this as well. These would be full and detailed descriptions of anything ranging from woodland forests, to gothic cities, to languid lakes, to entire regions. I'm completely open to anything and everything.

Eventually I'd like to claim an area of my own to place some of my babies in, but I think I'll hold off until my map-making skills have improved considerably.

Well there you have it. Yes? No? Possibly? I like some but not the rest? Lemme know! Thanks!

Shadow

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Pryme8's Avatar

yes, I would love a story written in the world I am developing. Its a MMORPG called legend of Gateworld... I can give you a back story and a description of all the races in the world, and the faction elements. I have concept art and game shots too if you need them for inspiration!

let me know if you are interested, I would really like some creative writing to add mass to the world!

Would you mind if I tag along on whatever literary adventure you guys will be having? I came here to say just about the exact words that Shadownox did. I have no idea how it might turn out for me, but it's definitely worth a shot.

Hi gents, interesting that there are a few of us having the same thoughts. I'm currently developing a website system for collaborative world-building. It's in early beta at the moment but is viewable at my domain, Kilderia. I'd welcome and appreciate anyone interested in getting involved in the idea, although a word of caution from here the development of the system would be the key discussion at the moment. Contact me by email for more information if you like, you can find my email on my profile I think.
    Last edited by Allerion; 04-27-2013 at 08:38 AM. Reason: url change

Guild Novice

Most interesting thread here people. Can I give you all a challenge and see if you can inspire me?
    I think of a creature that was human, that became infused with a demon (aganst both their wills), which will be released from their infusion (eventually). Can you describe him for me, my creature? And my demon on his own? I would love to let creative minds loose on this one and see what you come up with?

Guild Novice

Hey! Another writer here... not just writer but also passionate lore creator. If anyone of you would like a story or needs some criticism and help with world-building, just ask me. :3

Quote Originally Posted by Arabascan View Post
    Hey! Another writer here... not just writer but also passionate lore creator. If anyone of you would like a story or needs some criticism and help with world-building, just ask me. :3
    *waves* Hey!

If you (or anyone else) is interested, I have a setting I'm working on that I'd love crits and/or contributions for: The Gilded City

I also greatly enjoy writing, lore creating, world building and creating stories for NPC's, cities, regions, worlds. I also enjoy working with timelines, and adding "life" into things by looking at how the "gears" of the world "turn". I also enjoy looking at, and using how events which occur impact various groups, and individuals within those groups. I am working on my map, which is going nicely and slowly.

Hi Everyone,

I am working on a project also and anyone willing to cooperate is welcome. I will provide some specific guidelines and you will be able to build from there. Anyone that cooperate will be on credits obviously.

Feel free to PM if you need more info.

Hi guys, just to let you know that my collaborative world-building web-app is going to begin testing on September 1st. I've coded it specifically for this purpose, so you might be interested in checking it out and doing a bit of testing for it. You can find it at TeriYeri.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast