Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: July 2012 Challenge Entry: Clouds Rest

Guild Novice

Default July 2012 Challenge Entry: Clouds Rest

Hi all, first timer here with an early draft of an entry. I'd appreciate any and all impressions, ideas, and constructive criticism. My inspiration for the map was a photo of Mt. Everest peaking up above the clouds - thought it would be interesting to plop a small city up there.

I'm not sure how to represent the clouds below, but this should give an impression of what I hope to accomplish. Thanks for your time.

### LATEST WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cloudsrest01.jpg 
Views:	1087 
Size:	494.2 KB 
ID:	46736
    Last edited by shepherd; 07-19-2012 at 11:58 AM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

are those meant to be fantasy floating mountains of just peaks poking through the clouds? they look a lot like the former
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 07-19-2012 at 12:11 PM.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    are those meant to be fantasy floating mountains of just peaks poking through the clouds? they look a lot like the former
    It should be the latter, and I agree that the clouds don't look right yet. When I get to them I'll need to show them with varying heights, and lapping up over the edges of the mountains. And it may be too solid a field - some gaps to see land below might give a better sense of depth.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Ok, well its still a WIP so its understandable. Ill be keeping my eye on this one

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

I think the issue is that the bottom edge of the mountains is too solid and regular. Coming out of the clouds, you'd see the edges of the clouds ON TOP of the bottom edge.

For reference, check out the "small island" on djekspek's Step-by-Step tutorials. Just imagine that those are clouds against the bottom edge instead of forests. The way the mountain and forest/cloud edges interact is right.

One other thing you could try would be having your mountains in one layer, and your clouds in a layer on top of them. Have the mountains go all the way down to the ground, and then cover them up with clouds that are slightly transparent.

Guild Novice

thanks for the pointer on the tutorial, Seraphine... I was drawn to this site by the promise of little help like that.

This is a great idea for a game. Welcome to the Guild and the Challenge.

This reminds me of a D&D setting I used to run in, called Oberia, where the inhabitants lived on a narrow band of elevation, between the frozen peaks and the toxic-cloud shrouded lowlands. Nice! And good use of perspective!

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

I hope you get to updating this before the contest runs out, because it's a real neat idea.

Guild Novice

Here's a bit of an update... I didn't have any time for this over the weekend, and I'm not sure I'll get any more work in on it before the deadline. Got towns, trees, walls, towers, mines, water source, etc. - if there's anything else you all would like to see populate this map let me know and I'll see if i can't oblige.

### Winner ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cloudsrest03.jpg 
Views:	2216 
Size:	507.0 KB 
ID:	46883
    Last edited by ChickPea; 08-26-2018 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Added Winner tag

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast