Thread: Hello everyone ^_^

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hello everyone ^_^

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking about these forums off and on for four years.

I'm an avid roleplayer, both in player and DM capacity, and an even more avid world building. So it was a very natural transition into map making for me. I started out with your standard graph paper, making very rigid village maps for my campaigns, and have reached the point of free-drawn maps, homemade map tiles and digital maps of various sorts. I have a lot to learn, and it's about time I do more than lurk.

A few of my other hobbies include 3D rendering, pixel art, minitaure painting (reaper, warhammer) photomanipulation, stock photography, and hiking. I'm a mother of an adorable yet terrorizing two-year old daughter, and my only "employment" at the moment is trying to do commissions to pay off medical bills.

Edit: Oh, and I use Filter Forge, Photoshop, and Daz Studio 4 Pro as my main programs, and occasionally Terragen. I'm debating on downloading GIMP as well.

And in case you're interested...
    DeviantArt Gallery
    DeviantArt Stock Gallery
    Last edited by KiwiRose; 07-19-2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: spelling, forgetfulness

Welcome to the Guild KiwiRose, glad you decided to delurk! Well, if you already have Photoshop then it may not be necessary to download GIMP: I'm told that GIMP does have some features that PS does not (though usually I've found the reverse to be the case), but you need to decide whether those few extra features are worth the time investment of learning a new program. Checked out your DeviantArt Gallery and you've got some nice maps. Looking forward to seeing your contributions here.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thank you for the welcome and the compliment. ^_^

The biggest reason I'm interested in GIMP is the ability to use multiple images/brushes in a stroke. I forget what this feature is called, it's similar to tubes or sprays from other programs. Anyways, I find something like that VERY useful for making city maps.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome !! I'd echo arsheesh's comments about GIMP. (I use it because it's more than powerful enough for me and it's FREE !!) The feature your describing is called "brush pipe" (I think) and it's pretty cool although I'm sure that PS has something similar. Nice work over at DA I look forward to seeing your work here at the Guild
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Photoshop has a lovely brush engine, but it doesn't allow you to use multiple images in a singe brush. Which I think is silly.

Thank you!