Thread: Help with complicated map request

Help Help with complicated map request

I'm doing map commissions on DeviantArt, and I got a rather difficult request on my latest commission.

First, here's the example map that the commissioner provided me with.

I knew looking at the map and reading her requests that it would be difficult, but I took the job anyways because I need the money. I've been given permission to sort of fill-in an unspecified areas with what seems appropriate. So then, onto her requests (paraphrased).

The area labeled forest is to be filled with trees up to the border.
    The chemical area is where a laboratory is located, so its not chemical like everything is dead.
    The area labeled city is to be filled entirely with buildings.
    Not colored, kind of like ink on parchment.
    Setting is modern, japan inspired.
    I already have the desert and mountains finished, those were easy. The forest is almost done.

But I'm really drawing a blank on what to do in the chemical and city areas. Any advice, brushes, patterns, et cetera someone can point me towards?

As far as the city section goes, fantasy-maps.com has some rather nice free tutorials on drawing isometrically here :http://fantasy-maps.com/tutorials/. Perhaps you could apply the techniques he suggests to a much larger area of the map? You could even create a lot of different brushes of the same size, and use Rob A's random density maps with the appropriate settings (http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...5584#post25584) to create a large non-repeating fill. You'd have to break up the edges afterwards to keep them from looking too blocky, but it'd be a lot easier than trying to draw the whole thing out by hand. As far as the chemical areas, I'd try some sort of clouds texture, but I'm much less sure there.

I love those tutorials, I have printed copies on me all the time. I'm playing around with drawing up some building myself, I'm just dreading my two year old's reaction to me sitting somewhere paying attention to something besides her.

That density map tutorial looks VERY useful, thank you! I just might have to use that.

What about something like smoke stacks for the chemical areas? Hmm. That is tough. Good luck =)
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Smokes stacks, fog/mist... they might work.

She said it's more of a laboratory thing, not that that makes it any clearer.

Thank you.