I'm new here, so...

I just thought I'd say hi...

I'll be posting a map soon that shows what I'm working on. Currently working on a map for a D&D campaign. I have two goals with posting it: suggestions on how to improve my thoughts on the actual map in terms of geography (with certain limitations in mind).

The other goal is that I need help in making it beautiful. I'm good at taking a pencil and paper and drawing a passable (but not beautiful) map. Translating that into a computer image is difficult. The image I now have was generated on the computer and isn't that great.

About me: I'm a long-time user of inkscape, and am very comfortable with various other bits of software. I'm always working on a budget (er, free software) and whatnot. My interest in mapping comes from two sources: D&D (I've almost always been the DM), and writing. I love to write, and writing means you need a map. The better your map, the better your story, in many, many ways.

I'm married with 4 kids (whew!), and I live in the northeast US. I love it there, and I currently work as a research associate in psychology while I finish up my dissertation. Once I'm done with my dissertation I'll keep on at the same company or maybe look for something more advanced...dunno.