Thread: My First Map!

Default My First Map!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1fv2na.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	46750

Okay here is my first map. I made it using GIMP based upon one of the tutorials. I would greatly appreciate feedback and critiques, whether they be positive or negative. Please be honest, but not harsh. I do realize that it probably isn't all that good in comparison to most of the work on here, but I hope that I've at least done a decent job for my first map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	34y36a1.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	222.4 KB 
ID:	46749  

Hi there Shadownox, congratulations on finishing your first map! Well from what I can tell it looks fairly similar to other maps I've seen made using the "Fast and Easy" tutorial, so that's good. I am a little confused as to why there appears to be a settlement in the middle of a lake, was there supposed to be an island there or something? As to the mountains, I think they could use a bit of texture, such as some more jagged lines to indicate ridges and such. In addition, I am inclined to think that for this style, the mountains work best when clumped closer together and at different heights. As it stands they sort of look like they've been planted in a row crop formation. Otherwise not bad at all.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Hi there Shadownox, congratulations on finishing your first map! Well from what I can tell it looks fairly similar to other maps I've seen made using the "Fast and Easy" tutorial, so that's good. I am a little confused as to why there appears to be a settlement in the middle of a lake, was there supposed to be an island there or something? As to the mountains, I think they could use a bit of texture, such as some more jagged lines to indicate ridges and such. In addition, I am inclined to think that for this style, the mountains work best when clumped closer together and at different heights. As it stands they sort of look like they've been planted in a row crop formation. Otherwise not bad at all.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thank you! I'm glad it at least looks okay for my first try. The settlement in the middle of the lake is supposed be a sort of floating settlement that had been engineered by one of the tribes that reside in the area. I plan on changing that to better represent the concept I was going for actually. Do you have any suggestions for general shapes/drawings that would be used to represent such a thing?

As for the mountains, I see what you mean. I did think they looked a bit too spread out. And by jagged lines, do you mean altering the general outline around the mountain to be more jagged, or did you mean adding additional lines for texture?

Thanks for the feedback!!

Shadow

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2cfzcef.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	46756

Okay here's my second version. I touched up a few things: the mountains, the water, the labels, and the roads. I also (IMHO) made the water-color effect better. It was too uneven and sporadic in the original.

I'm going to be working on a version with more detailed mountains and a version where I replace the Marina houses with something that better represents it. If you or anyone else could help me out with the texturing of the mountains and ideas for a Marina icon, I'd greatly appreciate it. Lemme know what you think of the latest version!

EDIT: The original picture in this post was a bit messed up. I didn't notice it because it was small, but I missed some of the trees when I faded them. I've fixed it and replaced the photo. All is good.
    Last edited by Shadownox; 07-20-2012 at 02:41 AM. Reason: to replace the image

This is far better than my first try at map making! I have yet to truly work up a map on my pc, but several are in the works. Fantastic work!