Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Caleena WIP using Ascension's awsome atlas tutorial!

Nice. You might want increase or change the glow on the icons, they kinda blend into the background as they are. Just my thought.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

This is coming along nicely. I actually like the more subdued glow of the icons myself, so I guess this might just boil down to personal preference. The rivers look a bit thick, and I'm not particularly fond of the fade affect on them. My own preference for rivers is to make them small and tapered. My 2c.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Bit more done:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CelenaLg.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	47284
    Thanks for the input LonewandererD I have played with the glow on the icons a little to bring em out more, but I sort of agree with Arsheesh, I think I'm trying to let the map terrain stand forward and let all the twiddly info stay second to that. Although after comments from one of my players I did add a bit of glow to the place names to make them a bit more legible for game use!

And thanks too Lostatsea - I've also tried to thin out and taper the rivers better, the ahem 'stubby' look before is probably mostly down to me learning how to use my new Bamboo tablet properly rather than a deliberate intent for that look ...anyway, I think they look better now? (oh and tablets rock btw!! )

Still got to add some feature names (forests, mountain ranges, etc...) but I think it getting there. I do have one question though.. I've a swamp/marsh land bit in the lower left (the dark bit with the two rivers skirting it) but I was thinking should I have rivers running into it, then disappearing, to restart again on the far side of the marsh... or will that look daft? ...how have others dealt with it?
    Last edited by fifty; 08-06-2012 at 09:42 AM.

Almost Finished!

Name:	CelenaLg.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	3.18 MB 
ID:	47379
    Put in all the names for stuff that I want to, slightly dropped the province borders back a bit and lightened a strip of forest to insinuate the ridge of higher land underneath.
    I'm not happy with the two borders for the title and map key, cause they were low res freebies of of the web, so I'll probably have a look for something a bit better yet.
    Oh and I decided to add a colour overlay to the rivers that enter the swamp to black em down whist they make their passage through it. What do you guys think?

Done!

Name:	Celena.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	47508

..sorted the title/key borders and tweaked the overall brightness and I think that's it!

Thanks again to Ascension's tut, and you guys for critique and encouragement along the way!
    ... Now I need a couple of building maps, so back to the tutorial thread for me!!

(p.s. if anyone does spot anything I've missed or got glaringly wrong please let me know so I can revisit)

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

very striking colours on this one!

Thanks vorropohaiah

btw am i supposed to do another post in the 'finished maps' forum for this?

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    very striking colours on this one!
    "Vibrant" is the term that would be most fitting.

Wonderfull map, fifty!

Thanks Freodin ...maybe I should put a warning about wearing shades before looking

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fifty View Post
    btw am i supposed to do another post in the 'finished maps' forum for this?

Well if you do we can rate it :p

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast