Thread: Sharpening Pencils

I am so trippin after watching this....What sort of living can you make as a "Professional Pencil Sharpener"?

It's cool and I do understand loving your pencils but I just sharpen them myself. Admittedly I like them a certain way.

I just can't imagine sending my pencils to someone else to sharpen them so I don't know how he could make a living.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I'm feeling a little less nuts for having a sharpener for mechanical pencils now, at least.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I feel like I'm having my leg pulled here...
    When he started talking about returning the shavings to the client, I lost it. And every time he pulled out a weird object and was like "Why do I have this," I almost feel like he was just given the box by someone and had to explain the crap in it and had no clue. I lost it again at "Just under $1000"
    I rub my mechanical pencils on rough paper to make them sharp though. I didn't know they made sharpeners for them!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    I'm feeling a little less nuts for having a sharpener for mechanical pencils now, at least.
    Well, if it's a clutch pencil, that makes sense, many have integrated sharpeners. With propelling pencils it is a bit silly when you could just get one of those pencils that rotates the lead slightly with each stroke.

I loved the video, but I get this is - more than anything - a viral ad for Blackwing pencils!

His day job is political cartoonist. He does the pencil sharpening thing at tradeshows for the Blackwing pencil booth or other events sponsored by Blackwing.

As for the mechanical lead pointer, it was part of the kit I received when I enrolled in art school. It didn't come with any instructions or packaging, so it took me nearly a year to figure out what it was for. Once I did, though, I found it fairly useful. I don't use high-end pencils, but even those simple Bic pencils get some benefit from being pointed if you're doing very fine work.

Of course, if you have my habit of smudging your page, then getting a fine point on your lead is sort of a waste of effort.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Makes me want to make my own pencil sharpening collection!

Quote Originally Posted by DMChoco View Post
    Makes me want to make my own pencil sharpening collection!
    wow that's good!!!
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map