Thread: My First Map, would like some feedback

Default My First Map, would like some feedback

Just finished up this map from a tutorial in the How-To forum. It's a little regional one for a Pathfinder game I'm running. I'd like some feedback as to what I could to better, ways to improve, etc. Made using GIMP.

The one thing that bugs me is that I made the mountain brush a little small for this map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MapTest.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	855.4 KB 
ID:	46820

Good implementation of that tutorial. I for my part think that the mountains are quite fine the way they are.

A few things that you could improve:
    - the coastline stroke is too heavy. Half the thinkness would suffice, I'd say.
    - Tone down the blue colour of the river a bit... perhaps to a slightly darker tone of what your sea is.
    - get rid of the outer glow of the sea label. You don't need it, and the parchment colour looks out of place there.

All in all, a very good first map and a worthy start on the forum!

I agree with Freodin about the coastline weight and the color of the river. I'm unsure about the glow around the sea name. It should have one obviously, but perhaps in a lighter blue color, something to make it blend in more.

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Be careful with your brushes. You've got some tree trunks overlapping the leaves of trees in front of them, and some houses overlap mountains unnaturally.

I would rethink the parchment color. If you want your waters to be blue, your mountains to be grey, and your forests to be green, you might as well go all the way and make the grasslands green too (a lighter shade, though). If you do want to keep the background parchment looking, I would suggest toning it down to be less distracting. As it is, it's very bright, and makes everything hard to see.

I'd also agree with Freodin about the river. I think it, and the lake, would actually look good if they were the same color as the ocean.