Thread: Hello

Default Hello

Obviously I'm a newcomer here. I joined the forum some time ago, but got caught up in other things and never made any posts. I am now remedying that. I'm hoping to learn a lot here for my writing and just because I love maps. I may not be too active, but I'll certainly read a lot (I already have, actually, heheh).

A little about myself... Hm... Well, I'm an aspiring author who also enjoys reading, drawing and sewing, among other things. My current writing project includes an apprentice cartographer as one of the main characters, so I've become more and more interested in the art since starting it. My own map drawing skills are basically nonexistent, though, lol. I'm particularly interested in drawing maps with traditional media rather than on the computer.

Anyway, it's nice to meet you all and I look forward to learning as much as I can about making maps here.

May I extend a warm welcome from another proponent of traditional media!

Thanks! With so much focus seeming to be on digital work here, I was a little afraid I'd be alone in that area, heheh.

Welcome Eruravenne, no reason to fear, there while those who work in traditional mediums might be in the minority here that is certainly not because such mediums are not valued. Quite the contrary, we are always happy to see maps done in this style.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

VERY happy to see maps done "old school"

It is not the media, but the skills with the tools at hand, that end up making a good map. The techniques might be different, but the end product (a great looking map) comes from your vision. While we can not guide the hand, we can at least try to train the eye in what works on a map. And THAT, imoho, is where we excel.

Welcome to the Guild, The Mappiest Place on the Web
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent