Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ink and Watercolor on Parchment, Digital Techniques

Default Ink and Watercolor on Parchment, Digital Techniques

I like to aim for a more natural, artistic style with my maps. After a recent computer crash, I've been slowly rebuilding my brushes and presets... and doing a lot of fiddling with settings. In that process of testing new things and getting used to them (which usually includes drawing tons of mountains and/or fantastic creatures) I stumbled across a new, sort of complicated (many layers), way to blend 'wet' media with the paper background. Because it irks me when the ink just kinda sits above it.

Mainly what this particular use of layers, etc does is sandwich the drawing between two paper layers so the ink/watercolor doesn't mask the texture. And some other stuff. So anyhoo, here's what happened. The colored version has my working notes and layer settings. Oh yeah, I use photoshop. I'm not entirely (at all) happy with how the color-wash over the ink turned out (just a flat wash without highlights), but it's somewhat quick and malleable at any rate. I'm sure I'll continue fiddling with everything. I'm stubborn like that, and still not close enough to the real thing to give up. =P

And if anybody has something to share, more tips and tricks or helpful suggestions, please do share them (and an example of what it looks like). Maybe we can create a little go-to corner for different ways to mimic natural media with a computer. =)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ink and watercolor on parchment steps.jpg 
Views:	913 
Size:	643.2 KB 
ID:	46888Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ink without watercolor wash.jpg 
Views:	2662 
Size:	385.8 KB 
ID:	46887
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Hmm, it looks good and 'tis sth I do fiddle with too, so I'll try to get some of my examples up ...

Well regarding tips... I picked up a tip that I really like from a digital artist (Steve Argyle) about using a texture layer on top of everything you are drawing set to 10% overlay. A parchement, rust, rocky or whatever kind of texture (preferably something high resolution that doesn't repeat much if at all). Basically it gives your canvas a more textured real feel that a single flat colour doesn't, but it is still quite subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    Well regarding tips... I picked up a tip that I really like from a digital artist (Steve Argyle) about using a texture layer on top of everything you are drawing set to 10% overlay. A parchement, rust, rocky or whatever kind of texture (preferably something high resolution that doesn't repeat much if at all). Basically it gives your canvas a more textured real feel that a single flat colour doesn't, but it is still quite subtle.
    Cool! Thanks for sharing that. So you just have your drawing on a plain background, with the texture layer on top? That's a lot simpler. =)

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Pryme8's Avatar

bump up your pixls by a whole bunch, make sure that your resolution is like 12000 or 14000 pxls wide and tall, then zoom in a little find the correct brushes or set up yours to have correct opacity, then blur then slightly if you do it with your opacity control and size control on should look pretty close... make sure you draw them on different layers then mess with the transparency settings?

Quote Originally Posted by Pryme8 View Post
    bump up your pixls by a whole bunch, make sure that your resolution is like 12000 or 14000 pxls wide and tall, then zoom in a little find the correct brushes or set up yours to have correct opacity, then blur then slightly if you do it with your opacity control and size control on should look pretty close... make sure you draw them on different layers then mess with the transparency settings?
    Thanks for adding your cents! =) My current computer can't handle anything above 5,000 pixels without freaking out, but I'll give the rest a try.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Pryme8's Avatar

upgrade your ram then, it will make a world of difference! especially with your amazing art style

Been playing around with ArtRage recently. It's a piece of software that's been mentioned around here a few times, but in rather hushed tones and without much action. I got it some time ago, and then, with life scattering in all directions, never did anything with it. But it's a fun program, and it actually does watercolor rather well. Here's a little mess-about I did today... took less than five minutes (I wasn't following a plan). And some notes on the settings I used to achieve the effects. Hopefully you can see the possibilities. And watercolor isn't the only thing ArtRage can do. It can mix oil paints with beautiful results as well. Not the topic of this thread, though. I'm certainly looking forward to doing more with this program.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ArtRage watercolor settings tut.jpg 
Views:	4343 
Size:	466.5 KB 
ID:	47478

EDIT: Oh yeah, I just did this using one of the provided paper textures, and you can see where it repeats itself (ick). I believe it's possible to use your own paper textures, but I haven't tried that at this point.
    Last edited by Chashio; 08-12-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Very pretty water colour effect; I could see some nice maps produced with this sort of style...
    To hire me for graphic design or web development, visit my website KatSkinner.com. It's my virtual home away from my physical domain.
    To read my novels, and follow writing tips and other tutorials visit my website Ervirath.com .

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

great watercolour effects. ive had artrage for ages though just mess about mixing paints on the canvas, though if you can get results like this it surely has its uses.

what formats does it save in ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast