Thread: Started working with GDAL - Geospatial Data Abstraction Library - for work.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Started working with GDAL - Geospatial Data Abstraction Library - for work.

Hey everyone. I wanted to pop in here because I've recently started working with the GDAL (http://www.gdal.org/) for map reprojections. I have an account with the National Geospatial Agency and have acquired a bunch of Aviation Chart's in rpftoc format and am going to be reprojecting them and converting them to onscreen png for flight simulator use, but I really got a warm fuzzy about how I'm working with map data for my job finally. Anyone here ever do any GDAL work?

GDAL comes with some pretty neat tools, my favorite of which is GDALWarp, which can take images and reproject them...might be worth checking out.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    Anyone here ever do any GDAL work?
    Yes, I've used it, It's used as a library in a great deal of GIS software. I've even heard it's used for the low level raster routines in ArcGIS. I've used the command line interface a number of times too, including GDALGrid to interpolate a groundwater level surface for a web app and GDALWarp for various reprojection tasks. A lot of QuantumGIS's raster capabilities are realy just graphical front ends to the GDAL command line utilities.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, if anyone knows how to use GDAL to return a rasterized "image" to OpenGL to display given a set of lat/long coordinates, I'd love a boost...that's where I am now...Though I'm in the process of learning OpenSceneGraph to go with it...which appears to include the gdal 1.8 library.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

GDAL is your friend!

I'm curious why you'd need to rasterize the lat/lon points and then present the image to OpenGL rather than just projecting the points and letting OpenGL do the grunt work of rasterization? The general technique is to project from lat/lon/alt to your final east/north/up coordinate system using GDAL and the present those points to OpenGL. My development system's acting up and needs to be redone or I'd have an example for you.