Thread: Fantasy World for Debut Novel

Default Fantasy World for Debut Novel

Description: I am in the process of writing my debut novel, which is a fantasy genre novel. However, due to my inablility to create fantastic maps as I have seen in books such as Lord of the Rings, Eragon, and Game of Thrones, I would like a proper cartographer to do this, amateur or professional. I have an idea of what I want it to look like in my head, and have a few place names, but would really like a proper map so that I can visualize the world.

Setting: So far I only have two landmasses: A large island where the main action takes place, and a large landmass to the west of the aforementioned island.

Design Concept: I would like two maps if possible, one of the main island, and one of the eastern portion of the western landmass. The style should be similar to that of Eragon and Lord of the Rings (I can provide links if necessary). I will provide names, locations and further details of the world when contacted, for the sole reason that I don't want anyone stealing my ideas (better safe than sorry!).

Technical:
    Size: Each map should fit on A4, but I will probably shrink them down. (11 inches by 8 inches)

Scale: Not 100% sure, will confirm upon email contact

Quality: As high as possible! Will need to be good for digital and print, and will also need to look as professional as possible, and in .jpg, .tiff or .png format

File Transfer: via Mediafire or your preferred alternative.

Copyright: Copyright remains with cartographer, although I will require written permission to publish in the novel when it comes to that stage. We can discuss the terms of this at a later date if needs be. (I would like to have the right to use the image for commercial purposes, preferably the artist will have the right to exhibit the image as part of his portfolio but not to exploit it for commercial gain.)

Deadline & Process
    -1: Once job is accepted, I would like a rough concept draft showing the outline of the island/landmass, regional borders, rivers and city locations.
    -2: After this, addition of terrain (mountains, forests etc.) and improvement of map to make as good as possible. I will then review it
    [-3: If anything in Stage 2 was unsatisfactory, it can be addressed here - hopefully everything will go smoothly though!]

Deadlines for the stages will be decided upon once contact is made - this gives you the best time frame to work in.

Payment: Payment is slightly confusing, so that's why I put [Paid?]. At first, there will be no payment, as the novel will not have been published. However, if the novel is published, payment will be issued, at a price agreed between me and you.

Contact: If you are interested, please email me at: helix341(at)gmail.com (replace (at) with an @ - spam bot precaution!)

Last Note: I will be happy to accept any member of this forum as my map maker, so long as you have at least one piece of work I can look at to see your abilities. I would actually prefer lesser known, amateur cartograpers, as it could give them a break! In the past, I have been rejected for being an unknown, and so I do not want this treatment to happen from my hand.

Thanks,
    Helix341

Email sent.