Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Into the Mines - an dungeon map in 3/4 perspective

Blog Entries

Default Into the Mines - an dungeon map in 3/4 perspective

Working on a reproducible iso style dungeon mapping system inspired by one of Djekspek's maps. I have a campaign preparing to start in a month or three so I finally found the motivation to work on this project that I've wanted to do for some time. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mines of Odo Stoneheart.jpg 
Views:	2053 
Size:	4.00 MB 
ID:	40946
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Very Cool!

Excellent! A very good basis for a setup!

It looks good, though I'm not 100% on the back walls ... some places they seem a bit confusing and might need a lowered transparency.

So what *is* your reproducible system?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

That is quite cool so far...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Your shading makes all the rooms look inside-out to me. Why did you decide on darkening the bottom of walls? To my eye, the top of walls should be darker, since light normally comes from above.

Other than that, great map. I love this style, though it seems a pain in the butt to draw.

I have agree that the shading and coloring of the rooms makes things seems almost inside out at first, but then once you look at it for a moment or two that feeling goes away. The iso-style is very interesting, I haven't seen it before and now I'm inspired to try one out myself. I like how the different levels are easy to tell apart from one another, and how you can have them all on one map rather than having to do a series of overhead maps to get a lesser version of the same effect.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I really like it. I'm not sold on the green colour for the floor, but I like the shading on the walls. What are you using to do this. Are they all individual floor tiles that you're collating together in PS? If so, that's quite an endeavour. How are you getting them to snap properly?

Blog Entries

Aha, thanks Torstan for helping a brother out. As you may remember I am red/green colorblind, which manifests itself often a a confusion between green and brown, which is exactly what happened this time. If I chose my colors by creating them, I don't make mistakes, but if I take an existing pattern and use it, I often confuse the two colors. So I thought the map was in brown/tan and instead it was brown and tan with a bunch of green. I asked for my wife's help and she pointed out where my colors were bad.

I have to say that I don't see the inside-out issue. It's too far along to fix now, so I'll leave it as is, but it's easy enough to change for future dungeons. There is some assembly required for the walls.

To answer your question Torstan, the methodology used for the floor tiles is simple. I have a grid with strong lines. I turn it on, then "fill" the spaces in between. There is just enough dark brown stroke on the tile layer to add the required grout.

Here is the map with the green removed and some additional bits added.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mines of Odo Stoneheart.jpg 
Views:	559 
Size:	3.64 MB 
ID:	40966
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That's cunning

And that's a very pretty map. I love the border. How did you do that?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast