Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compression Info (Formerly: Tips on Keeping Your Entry under 75kb in size.)

Post Jpeg

JPEG stands for Joint Photographic Experts Group - a sort of unofficial consortium when JPG was being developed. Since DOS based file suffixes have only 3 letters, thus JPG instead of JPEG.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Journeyer

Info

In in PhotoShop 7, I've found "Save for Web..." (to jpg) gives much better sizes than "Save as..." (to jpg). I'm sure there is a trade off but they look the same on my uncalibrated lcd monitor.

The same holds true for PNG. You get a lot more controls to fine-tune your image, including specifying a palette and the degree of anti-aliasing that occurs. You also get instant feedback on how large the resulting file will be, so you can see exactly how much savings each option gives you.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Hmm ... have to look at this, I might be able to get a 100px=5' image of the deck plan
    (2500x2100 currently weighing in 88kb)
    Last edited by Valarian; 05-13-2008 at 08:14 AM.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Blog Entries

I looked at your palette as soon as you posted it and its a 256 version and most of it is unused. I would think that you could do your pic in 16 col and go with a 4 bit PNG which would be a little less than your 8 bit version. If you made a custom palette of 8 shades of grey, two are three bright greens and that dark blue then you would probably have almost all of it done in about 12 out of the 16. Make sure that you go for nearest colour matching when transforming the palette tho. No dithering or half-toning or else it will shoot up the file size.

OK, I must be a total idiot. I have made a pretty 'blah' map and it is coming in at just under 75k AFTER making big constraints (32 color etc), and I notice others have maps with way more detail than mine, and yet they have more detail. So what am I doing wrong?
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12