Thread: Egyptian Style Fantasy Temple (First Maps)

Guild Novice Facebook Connected BitMatt's Avatar

Map Egyptian Style Fantasy Temple (First Maps)

OK, so I'm not an artist, but I am a history buff and I love old buildings. I'm also like collecting and drawing maps and floorplans of the buildings I find interesting. These are done with some pretty low-tech software (my ancient laptop will only handle so much), and it probably shows. Still I thought it might be fun to share. If anyone likes this I may go ahead and post some more.

This is based on Egyptian temples during one of the high-points of their civilization. Its not totally accurate, its more of a fantasy portrayal, and its done in old-school gaming style... did I mention I'm also a gamer?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	krnaax3.jpg 
Views:	1118 
Size:	244.8 KB 
ID:	47257   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	krnaax2.jpg 
Views:	807 
Size:	233.3 KB 
ID:	47256   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	krnaax1.jpg 
Views:	1005 
Size:	235.4 KB 
ID:	47255   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	krnaax4.jpg 
Views:	878 
Size:	253.0 KB 
ID:	47258  

very cool...any chance we could get the map key that goes with it?

Guild Novice Facebook Connected BitMatt's Avatar

Closest thing I've got is a brief description of the rooms.

Temple of Kr'Naax
    Room Descriptions

1. The First Great Valve, big doors used only for ceremonial purposes and the arrival of dignitaries. Two massive wood timbers serve as bars, holding the doors shut against unwanted visitors.

2. (north) Priest's Entrance, guarded by a sphynix-like statue. The eastern door is used only by the high-priests, the western door is used by common clergymen. A gateway of bronze-bars blocks access to the doors, these lock (the inner doors do not).
    2. (north) People's Entrance, similar to the northern entrance. The eastern door is used only by nobles and rich patrons of the temple. The western door is used by everyone else.

3. Outer Courtyard, except for the "porch area" over the pillars, this area is is open to the sky. Two massive statues of the temple's builder stand on the western wall. Twelve sphynix-like statues overlook the lower courtyard. Six massive braziers line the path the The Second Great Valve (the doors leading to area 23).

4 - 22. These are the interior of the tall tower/wall that forms the front of the temple. They are used by the guards and servants of the temple. Smaller rooms are typically the quarters of officers & more important servants, where the larger rooms are barracks for their underlings. "16" is an armory. "20" & "22" are rooftops surrounded by low "lips" (not crenelated like a castle's walls, and hazardous during storms).

23. Second & Third Great Valves. The stairs go up at the eastern end of this hall. Four statues, each of a different divine figure, watch over the hall.

24. Priest's Court. Used for ceremonies and worship exclusive to the priest castes. Open to the sky in the center.

25. People's Court. Usually one of the busiest parts of the temple, used for common ceremonies and religious observances. Open the the sky in the center.

26. Middle Courtyard. This area is open to the sky, and lined with statues of gods. The stairs at the eastern end go upwards towards the Fourth Great Valve.

27. Shrine of the Well. The roof of this smaller interior building is designed so that rain (when it does actually fall) is collected in the deep well at the center of the building. Used for ceremonies involving the weather.

28. Hall

29-31. Shrines to Different Dieties. The idol in "30" is on a circular dias. There are altar-blocks in 29 & 31 (the rectangles).

32-39. Mortuary Shrine. Where the dead are prepared for the afterlife. "32" actually has a stairs down to storage rooms below (not depicted here). The idols in "36" (representing death & re-birth) are on rectangular dias(es?).

40-41. Upper Rooms. Used for storage.

42. Inner Courtyard. The far eastern quarter of the temple is restricted to priests only. Six large braziers line the way to the inner sanctum.

43-48. Priest's Cells. The larger the cell, the more important the occupant.

49-54. Shrine of the Priests. Contains functional rooms where the priests perform day-to-day functions like eating & cooking. "50" is a pool for ritual bathing.

55. Shrine of the King. Dedicated to the builder of the temple, or the ruler at the time it was built (if these are not the same). A massive enthroned statue of the patron sits at the south end of the hall.

56. Inner Sanctum. Holds an alter and idols for the most important gods. Only the high priests of the temple are permitted entrance.