Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just got my graphics tablet and am having fun!!

I just love the crisp ridge lines the shaded relief technique based on DEMs produces. I just don't get that with fractal noise mountains....

-Rob A>

Lui, that's just AMAZING.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Minor thread hijack, but related to tablets...

I just got my Intuous 6x8 (thanks RobA for the Craigslist suggestion - $40 incl shipping) and well... I am terrible. Definitely failing my DEX+know roll. Are there any online tutorials about .. well.. drawing with these things? Something I can get used to?

Chgowiz

Where are you having difficulty?
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Well, I 'get' the drawing part, although I'm very much a beginner at drawing period. It's more of how to use the pen. I was suprised that the eraser didn't erase (although that makes sense, I guess... I have to activate the tool.) It's getting used to that the 'context' of the pen is different than the mouse, so color selections have to be made with the pen. (I'm using GIMP 2.4). Anyway, just noob type stuff, I'm sure.

Thanks!
    Chgowiz

WRT Gimp, you should be able to set the eraser end to the eraser tool, and the tip to one of the drawing tools. For inking (drawing) I now use the ink tool, as it seems to work nicely, usually setting pressure to be proportionate to size.

To "paint" or colour wash, I like to use the airbrush tool.

For drawing with "special" brushes (trees, for example) I use the paintbrush tool and set tip pressure to size.

Not sure if those are the types of tips you want.

Here is a tut I followed a while back that helped http://www.dustyghost.com/tablet_tut.html

I also rendered a grid and practiced drawing squares along the grid.

Also, I found I needed to stop holding the pen tight, like a pen while writing:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pen_IMG_2813.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	3611

And more like a brush:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pen_IMG_2811.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	3610

-Rob A>

P.S. It is really hard to take a picture of your right hand with a camera held in your left, when cameras are made to be used in the right hand

Thanks! If nothing else, that was quite a relaxing exercise for tonight! I've bookmarked that site.

Chgowiz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12