Thread: My first map/post

Guild Novice

Default My first map/post

I've been lurking for a few days, and decided I'd give it a go. I went big! Maybe too big! Decided it was good enough though. I'll try and simplify the next attempt at map making, but dammit I get carried away sometimes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cJ73d.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	567.2 KB 
ID:	47180

It is good enough, I really like it. I'd personally maybe blue the dark grey-blue stroke around the land edge a tiny bit but it's fine without it. The smaller text is maybe a touch harder to read but not overly so. (Is this shrunk down any? If so that might not even be an issue).

I like your continent shapes too.

Wow...i like it a lot. Care to tell us something about the world? Or was this just a map-try-out for you?
    What software did you use?

Have some rep.!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Very good map! One of the best! I like Your style. How You did this grassy-terrain? Did You use textures and light-erasing for this effect or what?

Guild Novice

Thanks for the kindness folks!

I used Adobe Photoshop CS5.

It's just a world I made for the hell of it really. I've been reading a lot of history lately, and I've had all sorts of potential story ideas because of that, decided maybe I could use it for something along those lines.

I started out by doing the basic shape of the continents in my sketchbook, then I took a photo of that and did the outlines in Photoshop with a small brush. I looked up some tutorials on here and on google for a lot of stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N-Jyf4AhY8&feature=plcp<-- i used this guys tutorials for making the mountains and the grassy/foresty areas. I found them quite useful.

Essentially the grassy/foresty bits are just a pattern stamp of some moss, with a small scattered brush that's been slightly beveled. Afterwards I went over it with a green brush, overlayed the layer so it just added colour to the land to give the tree's and mountains more umph. This offered the mountains especially more depth, as the darker shadows really picked up on the green overlay. The mountains were quite time consuming but I think the overall outcome was definitely worth it. I started out with mountain brushes, even tried to make some of my own, but I wanted to go for a more realistic finish, also once i noticed the scale of the map i was making, a more satellite view seemed appropriate. I also used a variety of sand and paper textures to give it a more rough and weathered look.

Guild Apprentice

Quite impressive for your first post!

Getting carried away seems to work for you - keep it up :-).

Very nice, particularly for a first map.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh