Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Help with a map to role-playing with friends.

Blog Entries

Yes, it is. It's a combination of sequoia and larch forest.

Thank you for your dedication, Ilanthar!
    I'm waiting for that final version

OK, here it is.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rovendor v2_1.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	3.12 MB 
ID:	49246
    Hope I have not forgotten much or made mistakes. Tell me if you want changes (not big ones if possible ) an I'll do my best to do it in a reasonable time.
    Anyway, a pleasure to work on this map, and I have already learned new things by doing it according to your likes!

Blog Entries

Thank you very much, Ilanthar.
    It's great. I really like it!!

The last things you could say to change are:
    -The snowy or ebony trees may have characteristic colors (blue or white the snow, those of ebony, dark, etc..)
    'You could put the capitals (Orgoll (brown), Strateglass (light blue), Glimghard (red), Aldor'al (green) and Galdor (dark blue)) with big points, and the villages with smaller dots.
    -Missing bridges, you can draw them.
    -Names. Can you give me the font for put myself, or I can give you the names and put them yourself (I mean you give me the source for that, when I invented a new name, I can put it), but if you put them perhaps be neater.

Here attached the capitals, the points must be the same size. You can put the villages with smaller dots.
    http://i47.tinypic.com/k21bfq.jpg

Nothing more, I think that's all.
    Thank you, Ilanthar. It was hard work but satisfying

(Remember the names).
    Greetings and thanks!

Ok, tell me if you're happy with those changes.

Name:	Rovendor v2_1.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	3.12 MB 
ID:	49316

For the names, I got a lot of fonts but don't always remember where I got it. I can suggests the fonts below in quite different styles... Tell me what you prefer.

Name:	Fonts.jpg 
Views:	552 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	49317

Blog Entries

Hello, Ilanthar.

Sorry for the wait, but with a friend we're designing some new things to add to the map. When the changes are ready, we show you them and we see what can do. We were thinking of new villages or things like that.
    We know you can work on the map on Fridays or weekends, so let's try that changes are ready for those days.

Thank you very much, Ilanthar, and sorry again for the wait!
    Greetings.

You don't have to apologize!

To tell the truth, I was just wondering if you were satsified with the result. If it's minor changes or adds, I'll do it with pleasure.
    You investigated well! ;-) I'm generally working during the week and the weekends are my mapping moments!

So, wish you a good brainstorming!

Hello Facubaci and Ilanthar. Good work on Rovendor map.

I have a request from you, but first some explanation.

I'm making an fantasy strategy - war board game "Terra nullius" to play with friends. Game will be only for non-commercial, but I don't
    exclude publishing it in future- if game appears to be good (in that case we will talk about acquiring copyrights or I will make completely different map).

Shape, proportions, even city locations of yours map fit perfectly my view on mechanics for "Terra nullius". Game will be played on
    strategy map divided for provinces where armies will be build, and politics made . Battles will be played outside the map with special
    token-card mechanics.
    That's why I want to ask both of you for permission to use this map in my game, for personal use..

Facubaci - If you wish for I can make that part of story line for "Terra incognita" will be link up with Rovendor (for example -geographical and cities names some history links).
    Ilanthar - to link this map with my game mechanics it will need minor changes (province divide, little more forests and swamps, icons and
    names of cities, fortress). I respect others people time, so I'm happy to pay for your time.

Waiting for reply. mullenkamp@wp.pl
    Thank you very much

Ilanthar, the map is beautiful, but you have some rivers doing very not-river-like things. Water can only flow downhill. I know you know that, but in some places you have it doing otherwise. Over long distances rivers will only join on their way from high to low. Over short distances -say a modest island or a river delta - you can see branching, but that is only where both paths are essentially the same level. They will definitely not split over huge distances - one route would be lower and would immediately capture all the flow.

Another thing that comes from the always-downhill rule is that no river can stretch from ocean to ocean. Think about a person paddling upstream from each end - where in the middle would each cross and change to going downstream? The river water can't change direction. And if you are thinking of "downhill both ways from a high ridge top source" that won't work either -- lakes will only have one outlet, though they can have multiple inlets.

Too, not all river sources need to start from high mountains. Certainly the places you show are okay for streams to spring up, but any higher ground, even hills or plateaus might be where water starts downhill .

It might be useful to look at the How To Get Your Rivers In The Right Place tutorial -- lots of good info on staying believable.

Facubaci, if some of those unlikely interconnections are needed for your story, maybe certain connections could be drawn as canals? Those CAN do unnatural things like split off from rivers in a downhill direction, or connect the headwaters of rivers in two different watersheds.

Thanks for the compliment jbgibson.
    A you pointed out, I am well aware of the unrealistic flows of some of the rivers. But to be frank, I just sticked to Facubaci's drawing.
    I can't speak for him, but I think that a "fantasy" world is not necessary realistic. Personnally, I like a lot a comic book with a big river cutting the continent, flowing each side from it's center and suddenly boiling and carrying stones on day each year (a non predictible day).
    For me, the most important is coherence. On world has to follow its own set of rules, even if it's fantasy rules defined only by magic.

Facubaci may tell you more.
    Thank for you kind concern !

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345