View Poll Results: Should we make maps with Bogie's awesome mapping elements?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Bogie makes great stuff!

6 60.00%
  • No, I don't like anything I didn't make myself.

4 40.00%

Thread: Bogie's Mapping Elements

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Default Bogie's Mapping Elements

Bogie has produced some amazing little nuggets for us. I propose that we hold a mapping challenge wherein one must make use of one or more of the elements from this thread

I would think that anything in the thread would do, and even that if Bogie put new ones in after the contest had started that they could be added if appropriate. But there should be a rule of not bugging Bogie to make things specific to your challenge map. You can build up your map however you want to, as long as it incorporates things that are in the thread.

I voted no, but not for the stated reason ("No, I don't like anything I didn't make myself.")
    I love Bogie's stuff and regularly raid new items from it, but it is clearly part of a 'photo-realistic' style that is not really my thing.
    I would rather not be tied into a specific graphic style.

So it might be a great contest, but not for me.
    carpe diem,
    Arthur

Anyone else want to vote on this?

I have nothing against using whatever tools one enjoys using, and Bogie's mapping elements are excellent. But I don't see the point of a mapping challenge where the candidate maps will all have to be very similar in style. (So, again, the reason stated in the poll doesn't apply, but I had to vote "not interested" on this one.)

The point of it would be as an exercise. An fun opportunity to step out of our routines and usual styles to do something different, by using some cool elements that Bogie has provided. Stretch our creativity by working within limitations. See who can make the best use of a set of building blocks.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphine_Harmonium View Post
    The point of it would be as an exercise. An fun opportunity to step out of our routines and usual styles to do something different, by using some cool elements that Bogie has provided. Stretch our creativity by working within limitations. See who can make the best use of a set of building blocks.
    This. I'd normally never design a map in this style but it's all about broadening your skills isn't it? Anything that might give you more ideas or tools to work with is surely worth it..so I voted yes.

Even using a specific style of elements I think there is a lot of different styles possible. It will require digging deep which is what makes it a challenge!
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Well, it is a challenge in a very specific way, but why not?

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

I echo some of the others; whilst I think it's great what Bogie is doing and what he has created is some quality stuff, I have absolutely no interest in using other peoples creations to make my own maps; it's the exact reason why I don't use Dunjinni or all the items from RPG Map Share. Whilst there's no debate that you can use those elements and create a unique map, I would find no enjoyment in simply rearranging someone else's work.