Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: August 2012 Entry: Demonic circle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip August 2012 Entry: Demonic circle

This is the first mapping challenge I have attempted, and I might not have the time to finish it due to a lot of other things happening during the month. The image is that of a circle used to summon and trap demons, drawn on a badly damaged page torn from a book.

I will probably end up using the hastily assembled map I have made so far as inspiration for the next attempt, since I tend to redo most of my maps from scratch several times before I like the result, but I still appreciate any and all input on the map.

Some things I know that I will have to change/improve:
    1. Decrease the number of tears, stains, and holes in the map.
    2. Get rid of the leftover "islands" in the holes in the map.
    3. Make the circle (which is the actual map/prison) more detailed (though still damaged, I think).
    4. Decide on a background (I am currently thinking of a wooden table).

### LATEST WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Demonic circle.png 
Views:	579 
Size:	3.24 MB 
ID:	47235  

Good start Silversweeper! Welcome to the Guild and the Challenges!

Wip

Made a second attempt from scratch, which turned out better in some ways and not quite as good in others. The tearing feels better, as well as the text and the shape of the circle, though I think that the circular script in the first one was better, and the blood did not turn out quite the way I wanted it to. The burned corners are better, but still need some work. Due to accidentally closing Photoshop (and pressing "Yes" when asked if I wanted to save), some parts that I did not like were saved, so I will have to start over again; though I think that this will be the last time I have to start from scratch.

Again, feedback is always appreciated.

Some things I am planning on changing in the next version:
    1. Fix the burn marks so that they look and feel more natural.
    2. Tweak the circle slightly.
    3. Draw more elaborate symbols in the circle (similar to attempt one).
    4. Try to make the bloodstains turn out the way I want them to.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Demonic circle 2.png 
Views:	753 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	47238  

Just spitballing composition ideas ...

small knife/dagger pins the page to the wall ... burn marks where the blade pierces the page .... a trickle of blood runs down from the blade.

Wip

Interesting idea about the knife/dagger, will have to look into it (though I am not used to making 3D images).

Made a third attempt. I personally think that I overdid the distortion of the circle (was going for runny ink but got carried away) and probably should not have as mamy bloodstains/burn marks. I am also considering removing most of the text (leaving a row or two and making the page torn off much closer to the circle) and replacing the current text with meaningless symbols like those in the circle itself. I also got carried away with the various distortion effects I applied to the bloodstains.

Things I am planning on changing:
    1. Decrease the amount of text and the overall size of the image (or decrease the amount of text and make the circle larger).
    2. Decrease the amount of blurring, blood, burns, and other effects that are obscuring parts of the circle.
    3. Change the text into symbols similar to the ones in the circle.
    (4. Add a knife/dagger stabbing the page) - if it turns out to be good.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Demonic circle 3.png 
Views:	565 
Size:	3.70 MB 
ID:	47289  

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

wow, is that a liquify effect or displacement layer? either way, tone it down (as you said) though dont get rid of it entirely, as a subtler version would look cool.. same with the text

I notice you use very sharp contrast and saturation in all of these. If that's what you like, fine... but it's very overpowering. If you're going for 'real' then make it more subtle. As it is, I can barely make out vague shapes that tell me nothing about your demon hold. And it's such a cool idea, I'd love to be able to see it more clearly.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Wip

The circle is a twirl and a Gaussian blur (on a copy of the original circle with a small ripple) and the blood is a mix of ripple, wave, and liquify (if I remember correctly).

I have now started on what I expect to be the final version. So far I have not done more than the outlines of the circle (with some ripple and liquify effects with varying opacities) and some work on the parchment.

Things I am planning on changing:
    1. Add symbols to the circle and a line of symbols below the circle.
    2. Apply a small number of bloodstains and burn marks (possibly with a 3D knife).
    3. Add a background (probably similar to the one I had before).

Any input is appreciated.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Demonic circle 4.png 
Views:	7825 
Size:	3.09 MB 
ID:	47293  

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

There is something I just have to say, regarding the use of pentagrams. It has nothing to do with how well or badly you've done anything. Feel free to ignore completely.

Warning: Rant Ahead

I know it's a recognizable symbol, and therefore easy, but I am sick and tired of seeing the pentagram as the instant symbol of evil. There are TONS of shapes used in magic, from Triangles, to Squares, to Hexagrams, to septagrams, nonagrams, circles, diamonds, rhomboids, crosses, and anything else known to geometry, but when you need something evil, it's always the pentagram that gets chosen. No one ever uses it for any of the thousand other things it represents, such as the 5 senses, the human body, the stars, the element of earth singly, or more often the 4 elements everyone knows about added to the fifth element Spirit. Because it is unicursal (and thus never ends), it represents infinity and cycles. It is a symbol of protection, of growth, of emanation, and of power. As a star it represents the heavens, and the Sun. Not to mention the symbol of a religion whose primary tenet is "harm none." The pentagram is all of this and a hundred other things, but all anyone sees when they look at it is "SATAN!" No one ever bothers to do research, or question why they are using this particular symbol, they just know that a pentagram is the symbol you use for demons, devils, or anything evil and ooky spooky. [/paganrant]

Wip

Have added some bloodstains and a burn mark. How bad can it be to bleed in the centre of a broken demonic circle?

I am probably going to do the symbols next. The knife idea is still awesome, but I am not sure if I can make it work.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Demonic circle 5.png 
Views:	4757 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	47295  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast