Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP: New Campaign Region

Guild Member

Map WIP: New Campaign Region

Hi All

Having recently picked up the Pathfinder RPG i wanted to create a new campaign setting to start a new game in. I like to try and base my maps in a semblance of 'realism' so I scoured Google Earth for interesting looking ideas to prompt the old brain matter. I latched on the Louisiana Bayou's as by base.

See below for my start point !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Base Map.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	47268

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. I am still in the process of adding the small areas of water on the 'land masses' and then i will add the small water channels.

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Love the land masses! I'd use a bigger texture though, as you can see it tiling as is.

So is this meant to be a bayou/delta/marshy area like in Louisiana, or a clean coast with a bunch of very close islands? If the former, everything is fine. If the latter, there might be a few too many lakes. If neither of those are true, there might be some rivers doing things that rivers don't do.

Also, I'd suggest softening the transition between the green and the sandy coastline with a gaussian blur, or something like that.

Guild Member

OK thanks for the input and feedback so far. Firstly it very much is a bayou area and as such the rivers, streams and lakes are in the extreme. I've been using google maps to look closely at the bayou satellite image and it goes against all my mapping instincts in terms of streams and rivers just cutting across land, going where they shouldn't and splitting all over the show. With that in mind please take a look at my latest update and let me have your thoughts. Also started to apply some blur to hide the linear patterns.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Base Mapv2.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	808.2 KB 
ID:	47290  

Good improvements. The transition at the coastal edges feels much better now. The texture of the grass patters is still a touch too repetitive in my opinion, but it is better than it was. But if you add more terrain features like trees, they might interrupt the texture enough so that it isn't an issue. It is pretty much only a problem on the biggest landmasses that it is an issue now. The ones with a long vertical or horizontal stretch of it.

Guild Member

How about the smaller streams etc - do they look ok to you ? I guess i'm just struggling with streams cutting across land masses between lakes etc and not having any hills to start them from ! You comment on the texture is very valid but i will play around some more and i am going to add more terrrain types yet to break it up. This is just the base map to help feed my imagination !

Guild Member

OK a little more work done. I kind of like where this is starting to go now. Anyone feel like giving me some more pointers ? All advice greatfully received !

Name:	Base Mapv3.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	794.2 KB 
ID:	47296  

Looks like a really good design for a puzzle. Very nice textures but the islands and landmass look very unnatural.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moskva View Post
    Looks like a really good design for a puzzle. Very nice textures but the islands and landmass look very unnatural.
    Well i do understand your point but check this out.

This is part of bayou in Louisiana. Hence my instincts screaming everything was wrong and yet real world trumps us every time.

Name:	Bayou.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	47304  

It's funny how "unnatural" nature looks sometimes.

I like how this is coming along. I think you need some trees on the big island, but other than that you've adequately dealt with the patterning in the texture.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast