Thread: The Realm of Camulus

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Default The Realm of Camulus

This was my entry for July's Cloud Mapping challenge. I used a brush tool to draw the coastlines, and I used the sky from the cloud image as the sea, along with a second blue layer, both on burn mode over a tan base, and two solid noise layers overlaid, which resulted in some really cool effects that I am quite pleased with. The outlines of the mountains and trees were from Schwarzkreuz brushes, and I hand colored them.

Inspired, I turned this into a mini campaign setting, which is detailed here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cloud Map 9.jpg 
Views:	866 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	47291

One of your best maps yet Seraphine. The colors are lovely. One piece of constructive criticism, the bevel-&-emboss around the coastline and rivers seems to clash with the otherwise hand drawn style of the map; I think the map would be stronger without it. That said, it is a great map.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    One of your best maps yet Seraphine. The colors are lovely. One piece of constructive criticism, the bevel-&-emboss around the coastline and rivers seems to clash with the otherwise hand drawn style of the map; I think the map would be stronger without it. That said, it is a great map.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    I tried it both with and without, and it looked better with. At least to me. And for the record, it was also applied to the mountains, but in all the color it isn't as obvious. So I choose to think of the style as painted in relief.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

this got my 'number 1 vote' too, though its a shame the brushstroke along the coastlines are so obvious. any way to change that as otherwise this was a really lovely map, with great background (history :p)

Might be possible. If I find that I can make a significant improvement, maybe I will update.

Yes, you could change the bevel. Or perhaps just tone it down a bit. And you could change the coastline strokes. Again, perhaps just tone them down as they go outwards.

But these are just small details in an overall wonderful map. The colouration alone is fantastic, and the little coloured flags are simply spot-on!

Great job, and a lot of well deserved votes in the July challenge!

Great map; love the style, very singular. I dont know about the bevel... I might be a newbe, but in fine-arts, we learned that esthetic is something bendable and a way to know a failure in technique and a "acknowledge failure" by the artist for style sake is to see if he choose to do so, or couldn't find a better way. In the later, lack of experience and laziness to push furthermore the research is a problem.

But to me, I think that bevel's clash is interesting. And thoses repeating lines in the sea, I think their great. To me it's hard to express myself clearly in english, and sadly I can't explain how it is a quality, but it is a graphic quality.
    Like bd's. There's a lot of styles. Tha depends on what the autor choose.

Just my opinion: do your thing and push your own personnal style... although I think the constructive comments above are interesting too, and I see their point.
    Again, lazyness is an enemy and pinning the word " my style" on a failing to mask it is not, should not be an option.

I'm gladly rating on this one

Cheers!