Thread: Yet unnamed Fantasy Land

Default Yet unnamed Fantasy Land

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vampcities.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	453.7 KB 
ID:	47323

So this is the third campaign setting/map I've made, and so far it's the best. I'm still really uncertain about the city placement though, so I'd appreciate critique/help on that point. Mostly I'm afraid that I might have put too many cities on the borders. Maybe that's a problem about the borders themselves?

Not sure if it's crucial, but a little info about the setting:
    The mountain nation is actually just a conglomeration of Raptoran city-states, rather than a nation in it's own right. The nation south of there is a Dwarven Empire based on Byzantium and Russian culture/history (they drink Vodka). South of that are mostly undefined nations using the infrastructure of the collapsed part of the Empire, at least one of which will be Human and very anti-Dwarf. North of the mountains are all Human nations, still undefined in culture beyond general European-ness. The tiny nation on the East is another City-State, this one Human, that thrives off trade with the Indian-based Orcs from the east. Elves from the Northwest continent do the viking thing.

Oh, when I was placing them, the idea for many of the Border cities was that they were, at least originally, military cities. The more I think about it though, that seems unlikely for most of them.
    Last edited by Jallorn; 08-08-2012 at 09:01 AM.

Normally you don't need to mark the border at the coast (there are some styles where it is done to look good, but a simple line border isn't one of them). You might also consider toning down those borders a bit: the right level of transparency would leave them clearly visible, but greatly reduce the degree to which they obscure the terrain beneath and glaring whiteness.

If the cities are fortified, they might have grown up there to define and defend the borders.