Thread: WIP: Hecinian Peninsula Atlas

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice Facebook Connected Murtauh's Avatar

Wip WIP: Hecinian Peninsula Atlas

Hey all,

For my Senior Project (Highschool, id est I'm nowhere near a professional level) I've decided to create a fictional atlas and accompanying political/historical writing for a portion of my world. So far, I have a nice overview map of the region I will be developing, namely, the Hecinian Peninsula.

I'm working on mapping the individual countries now, starting with Vieja.

For size reference, Lurosia is, from the southern tip of Geton to the northern border, about as large as France, which would make Vieja about the size of Bulgaria. The world that the Hecinian Peninsula is in is the same size as Earth, and the northern tip of Vieja is 63 degrees North Latitude.

I'm looking for any and all critique, as well as questions that can help me flesh out history and other aspects of the world.

Also, if anyone is a skilled artist and knowledgeable regarding Royal Crests, I'd love some help. Just let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XXSbw.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	631.7 KB 
ID:	47298  
    ~Ardias Avenaerus, High King of Thocaea

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Murtauh View Post
    Also, if anyone is a skilled artist and knowledgeable regarding Royal Crests, I'd love some help. Just let me know.
    Looks cool. A nice simple political map, with a nice parchment texture. I like it.

Not especially knowledgeable about crests, but there is a cool site for generating fantasy shields (in the coat-of-arms sense)

Thanks for the website resource, it'll help me to get ideas down into a physical form.

Also, I know how simple the map is right now, I just wanted to get a general feel for the shape of the geography, borders, etc. Glad you like it!

Looking nice so far Murtauh.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

It's looking good, Murtauh. Do you have the history and politics already in mind, or will the map you come up with drive the writing? Neither way is wrong - each can certainly boost the other if you get stuck.

How well do you know the prejudices and preferences of your audience? After all, whomever is grading this project is like your editor... if for example they appreciate a bit of inventiveness, you'll be able to write & draw outside the box. If they are intent upon their students being well versed in the classical world, some ancient analogues might go over well. For instance - are you working the maps in English, or in a quasi-earthly tongue, or an outright conlang?

Is the project multidisciplinary, or is it focused on writing, or history, or what?

I'm really interested to see what you devise - please do keep us up to date!

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    Do you have the history and politics already in mind, or will the map you come up with drive the writing? Neither way is wrong - each can certainly boost the other if you get stuck.
    I'm working write now with the latter mindset, but I also have a general idea of what cultures I will be referencing and drawing inspiration from. This project was only started about a week ago, but I hope to continually post updates about every month.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

nice map. i hope the crest/shields work out as theyll help give character to the various regions

That's a very nice map. What did you specifically want help with, regarding the royal crests?
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram