Thread: WIP -- World Map

Default WIP -- World Map

I am currently in the process of making my first map, but I am a little lost as to what to do with the overwhelming amount of mountains. I started off with the ascension tutorial because I really liked how it looked. Originally I didn't think there were to many mountains, but now, as I add stuff that is setting specific... I'm not entirely sure. Any thoughts or critiques about the map would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RPG Map.jpg 
Views:	931 
Size:	453.1 KB 
ID:	47339  

Welcome to the Guild Safyra! Well, I don't know what to suggest about the mountains (unless you don't mind redoing much of the map, in which case you could scale down the layer that has the mountain clouds on it and then copy and paste them where you like, deleting the extraneous ones). I like that lava flow thing you've got going on.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Apprentice

I like these shapes! They look unique and original. What are those things surrounding the small island in the North East corner?

Thank you, Arsheesh, and Kazou!!

I think I fixed my problem that I had with the mountains after adding the lava and volcanic matter to the blasted land area. You don't have to actually redo the map, I made a selection, filled it with clouds, difference clouds until I got something I liked, then just did that area for the lighting, etc.

The area around the northeast island is whirlpools to keep people from getting to it. I haven't seen a tutorial on making them, so I just tinkered around with it until I got something that I thought looked... whirlpoolish, lol.

Critiques are still greatly appreciated. I've done some work on the rivers and lakes. Next up, forests.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lakes.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	429.5 KB 
ID:	47414  

AT the moment my only real critique is that the lakes need to have an outlet to the sea, other than that good start

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Wip

Thank you, Lone. I didn't realize that I forgot a couple of lakes that needed rivers. I fixed that, added the forests, and now I am working on the text, but I feel overwhelmed. I think there are to many countries. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GaiaMap.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	2.65 MB 
ID:	47967