Thread: Hello from Graeme (try 2)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Hello from Graeme (try 2)

Hello all,

I am a Winnipeg fantasy writer and I've been creating an imaginary world since I was a teenager. It's resulted in dozens of maps, and now that I have sold my first story to a publisher and am working on a much larger work, I'd like to get cracking on making a map.

So far, I've only done hand drawings, but I resolved to go online looking for software that would generate a realistic one, which I'd fill in. This led me here, and I was really impressed with what you guys got here. I'm open to suggestions, and look forward to learning. Feel free to give me suggestions or point me to useful threads or parts of the forum, etc.

Looking forward to getting to know you guys!

Graeme Brown
    Graeme Brown Winnipeg Fantasy Writer

Welcome to the Guild Graeme, and congrats on selling your first story! The best thing to do is to start by reading Ravell's "Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping" (a link to which can be found in the sticky at the top of the Member Introductions forum), then spend some time browsing the tutorials, and, once you have the software you need, begin working your way through a tutorial. Then throw up a WIP of your map and ask for feedback. Best wishes on your project.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Brown Winnipeg View Post
    Hello all,

I am a Winnipeg fantasy writer and I've been creating an imaginary world since I was a teenager. It's resulted in dozens of maps, and now that I have sold my first story to a publisher and am working on a much larger work, I'd like to get cracking on making a map.

So far, I've only done hand drawings, but I resolved to go online looking for software that would generate a realistic one, which I'd fill in. This led me here, and I was really impressed with what you guys got here. I'm open to suggestions, and look forward to learning. Feel free to give me suggestions or point me to useful threads or parts of the forum, etc.

Looking forward to getting to know you guys!

Graeme Brown
    Graeme Brown Winnipeg Fantasy Writer

Is this the same Graeme, that I know - just joined my Kaidan Kickstarter? (I'm Michael Tumey, BTW)

Welcome ot the site, check out the Finished Maps Forum, find a map style you like, then look at what software was used to create it, then go to the Mapping Software Forum and hunt for the application. From there go to the Tutorials section and read up a tut on using that application to make maps. That's the usual method to start your skills in map making.

Welcome to the site, I hope you learn something while you're here!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys! I will check out the link soon. I am at a writing conference right now, but will check in soon. And Michael, that doesn't ring a bell, sorry. Now, either I have a bad memory (so, please do refresh), but there are also lots and lots of Graeme Browns - even here in Winnipeg there are three that I know of. And here I thought John Smith was the name that made you blend into the crowd...

Chat soon!
    G

Sorry :/

I just chatted with the Graeme, I know, and you're not him - oopsy!

Still the rest of my previous post should get you towards what you're looking for.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations