Thread: Creating huge crater walls

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Wip Creating huge crater walls

There's a region on my map that is placed within a huge crater. The crater is a couple million years old and truly huge (several thousand miles across with a rocky upthrust in the middle).

Whats the best symbols to use/how should I portray the remaining crater wall (still fairly complete)?

Ive tried the cliff symbols, but theyre not quite right.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I'd be inclined to do an internet search for pictures of impact craters and go from there. Style-wise, I can't give suggestions unless I see what the map it's being placed onto. But an image search should give you some ideas... notice the way the light and shadows play across the crater. That's what will define the shape. Then just apply whatever kind of line work and shading your map has to depict it so it fits the style. And, welcome to the Guild. =)
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

If it is truly deep in comparison to the rest of the map then you could try making the contents inside it eg. trees, town icons, any repeating rocky outcrop textures, etc. smaller than normal, to give the effect that they are further away. It's not the norm to do for a region map as you generally wouldn't edit the scale, but it might help you out.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Thanks for the replies.

I was hoping to do the crater walls in CC3, rather than an outside program.

Tha attached picture shows what ive managed with the CC3 symbols, but it doesnt look quite right to me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crater-walls.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	881.1 KB 
ID:	47411

I've never used CC3. So maybe someone who does use it can help with that aspect. But... What doesn't look right to me: Your light source is coming from multiple directions. That's one of your issues. Another is the perspective. Your land looks very bird's eye view right now, the way your crater walls are situated, and the towns are isometric... plus, the town symbols aren't sitting on a flat surface as they were designed to do. For that last one, you could try making them smaller so they fit on the green areas at the base of the wall, or you could make the green areas larger to fit the towns.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram