Thread: Fanciful Tree Brush for GIMP

Default Fanciful Tree Brush for GIMP

Hi All, don't know if this will be useful to any of you or not, but I was playing around with different ways of making trees in GIMP for (non-hand-drawn) style maps and came up with this little Tree Hose Brush. It's not really too photo-realistic, but might be fun for a fanciful artistic map (for lack of a better name).

To install the brush, download the attached zipped file, unzip it and save the .gih file to the "Brushes" folder of GIMP. Then either restart GIMP, or hit the "refresh" button at the bottom of the Brushes dialogue in GIMP and you should see the Tree brush within your brushes.

To use it, figure out what brush size you'd like to use (it's optimal between 12-25px), and then tick the "Apply Jitter" box in your the Tool Options for your brush (I set the "amount" between 2-3). Anyway, hope you enjoy.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Settings for Tree Hose Brush.jpg 
Views:	2098 
Size:	602.4 KB 
ID:	47367  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Guild Member Facebook Connected

would be awesome if there was a PS version also..

I might be wrong about this (I don't actually own PS), but I don't think PS has the capability of utilizing.gih files for brushes (which in GIMP, are called Hose Brushes). If so, this is one of those places where GIMP has an edge over PS. That said, you can create fantastic trees/forests in PS by making use of brush presets (such as bevel & emboss, pattern overlay, drop-shadow, scatter) etc, and this is definitely an advantage of PS over GIMP.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks for sharing. I really have to try using GIMP to create sth (especially for your Eriond tutorial). It would be great if some of its options were added to PS in the future.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How do I keep missing this stuff?? Another great item my friend.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyandra View Post
    Thanks for sharing. I really have to try using GIMP to create sth (especially for your Eriond tutorial). It would be great if some of its options were added to PS in the future.
    The ironic thing is that PS offers far more options for making great-looking and quick photorealistic trees (in virtue of it's capability to apply layer styles to multiple layers), so this was one method I experimented with for trying to create quick trees as well. It just happens to be a method that PS can't achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    How do I keep missing this stuff?? Another great item my friend.
    Thanks JT.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh