Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: the High-empire of Korachan and the Inner Sea

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

thanks, replied

You said that you have a lore encyclopedia of over 600,000 words. Have you ever considered posting that? I'm as interested in the lore of this world as I am in the map. The map is incredible.

Thanks Pickes500!

Well most of it is fairly unpolished: generally whenever i name somewhere new or come up with a new organisation or whatnot i enter it in the alphabetical entries, include pertinent notes (nation, region, dates etc so i can easily find it again) but don't flesh it out too much - i tend to go through phases, working largely on the map for a while and then going back to the encyclopaedia the bulking out the entries, making them presentable and changing the working to be a bit more classical.

One of the links in my sig leads to my blog, which has more details on the encyclopaedia. i urge you to subscribe if your'e interested sine this forum isn't exactly a worldbuilding forum i don't like to clutter up the threads with worldbuilding talk.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    That's the one thing i 'regret' about this map - there was originally little thought to plate tectonics and i only started thinking about such things after the ranges and coasts and features had already become well-established (to me at least...). The original map, much like the story that presaged it, was made up as i went along, with little thought to such things as climate, wind belts, tectonics etc. Put it this way: I'd do things very differently if i was starting this project from scratch now. As I'm trying to make this a fantasy world thats as realistic as possible (economies, politics, governments etc.) despite having very strange fantasy elements (dead gods whose dreams warp the land, 'magic' etc.) and i think an easy way of grounding it in reality is making the world itself - the continents, coastlines, terrain, etc. as realistic as possible.

I did try retroactively changing some things to make them more realistic, like in Venthir - which i realised needed highlands/mountains to create a rainshadow effect to justify having the rather large Anubain desert S-W of its location. Though largely it remains unchanged (despite some glaring mistakes to do with climate and rainshadows), though I've tried to keep forests in plausable regions, while keeping in mind that its a largely deforested world. also, the world myths detailing creation and cosomogony are pretty much set in stone by now and I can always assume the world really was created by the gods, with plate tectonics beginning to take effect after that point (a few million years at most). what am i saying... the gods DID create the world!

As an example of some of the changes I've devised, here are three attachments, representing river valleys and deposits, tectonics and biomes. there try to explain some of the land's features, though keep in mind they're based on a version of the map that isn't 100% up to date, though they're still helpful to look through while I'm writing.

Attachment 50980 Attachment 50981 Attachment 50982

Im so sorry...it took me over three years to see this. Thank you for the response. I only recently just got back into cartographersguild and just saw that you responded, and with some great information! Thank you! I would like to study your map in more detail. It is amazing.

wow, that's a blast from the past! thanks

great work! many thanks for this great share with us

thanks bit of an oldies, this one

I am at a complete loss for how to describe just how much I love this. The color, the mountain ranges, the creases. Unbelievably amazing.

Guild Novice

Stunning details and tone. Very impressive work.

thanks for the comments I'm hoping to get an updated version of this map done over the coming months in a more modern atlas style. It will be interesting to see the contrast between old and new

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast