Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Commision WIP for Dream3r

Alright, that's cool. I think that was me having a misunderstanding of how rivers work. Thanks for the answer.

New WIP. Rivers are finished, and coloring in the mountains is almost done; there are just a few left in the bottom left hand corner. How is everything looking? Is it coming together well?
    WIP:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RoughDraft1.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	47573

I think everything is fitting pretty well. Have you ever tried, instead of painting your rivers over your land, erasing them from the land layer (you would make like a lake, but thin and long)? It is just a personal opinion though.

As for the rest, you are doing a nice job

Ooh, that's an interesting idea! I'll have to try that at some point; I can imagine that it allows the rivers to be more varied in size, instead of just tapering off uniformly as they do on this map. But wouldn't you have more flexibility if instead of erasing them from the land layer, you created an alpha mask for it and painted the rivers in as black? That way, you wouldn't have to worry about losing the land texture if you decided you were unsatisfied with the rivers you made.

It's been a while since I updated this; school has started back up for me, so the pace of updates will probably slow substantially. However, over the past three days, I drew a selection of cottages to use for the different cultures on the map, unfortunately, when I turned them into brushes, only the romanesque cottage looked any good - the rest were too skewed. Regardless, I went ahead and put the romanesque cottages on the map and colored them. At them moment, I have them for almost all of the Roman-style culture's holdings, I intend to replace some of them with other icons (at least one town, a couple of castles, etc.) Also new on this version is that I have finally finished coloring all of the mountains, and have added some farmland. Comments welcome and encouraged.

WIP:

Views:	96 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	47686

If I may... What program did you use to create the cottages and how did you make them?

I drew them by hand, and then scanned them, loaded them into GIMP, and made them into a grayscale .gih brush. I then placed them on the map, and hand painted them, also in GIMP.

I managed to find some time for drawing and GIMP this weekend in between homework, and added all of the other villages to the map. Next up: keeps, then castles, then cities.

WIP:

Views:	90 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	48124

Cool! I like the use of different villages for the different regions. It's good to hear from you again after a while...

Added Country Names, a Title Card, and finally got around to labeling the map scale. Looking alright? As always, criticism / feedback / thoughts welcome.

WIP:

Views:	96 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	48218

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12