Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commision WIP for Dream3r

Map Commision WIP for Dream3r

I have talked with the author of this thread and we have agreed that I will make a stab at his request. I am working from this base map,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World Map0.bmp 
Views:	211 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	47483

And here is what I have so far:

Name:	RoughDraft1.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	721.5 KB 
ID:	47484

Next job to do: rivers. Then forests, then towns, then polishing.
    Comments, thoughts, and suggestions are welcome.

Guild Member Facebook Connected

Interesting take on the mountains.. I like it so far..

The water color is... different. I'm liking the feel it's already giving the map, and liking the whole thing thus far as well.

New WIP showing rough terrain boundaries b/c the pure white land was looking odd in comparison to the water. There's a lot of green because that's sort of the base terrain, and I've only got around to adding the tundra and some ice on top of it. The ice in particular could use some roughening up; the boundary is too smooth at the moment for my tastes. I'm using a lot of gray and dark colors to try and suggest a general cold feel; is this working?
    WIP:

Views:	128 
Size:	866.9 KB 
ID:	47486
    Last edited by Seleucus I; 08-12-2012 at 09:29 PM.

This is working. I would think the mountains would kind of cut off the tundra area, so maybe move it back to the northern edge of the mountains? Otherwise, yes the colors and such are working very well. You sound like you've got the borders figured out, so I'll leave that to you...
    Great work thus far.

Last WIP for the day, I swear! Added a border, a map scale (although its presently unlabled, the divisions indicated 25, 50 and 100 miles), and colored the central mountains (around the area label Roh in the base map). I think I've finalized terrain distribution (unless you have any objections, of course, dream3r) and am much happier with the new base terrain color - the previous was too radically different from the tundra to suit the more subtle coloring I wanted to have for this map. I also added a parchment background - the final map will be much more integrated into this background; at the moment its purpose is to provide a preview of sorts and remind me not to forget about it. Tomorrow - rivers (probably) and hills, provided of course, I can make myself draw up some good isometric hill brushes.
    WIP:

Views:	297 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	47489

New WIP. I didn't get quite as much done as I thought I might - I'd forgotten how long doing rivers well can take. I did them both by hand, and I'm trying to make sure they have enough kinks to look natural. I tapered them with RobA's amazing GIMP script. I got two of the rivers finished (of a total of five planned) and colored in a lot more of the mountains (the northern tundra ones, and some of the eastern plains mountains as well)
    WIP:

Views:	146 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	47521

Wow! This is looking great! Nice work.
    One question. This may be because I'm simply uninformed, but I thought rivers fanned out from land to sea instead of the other way around? (The rivers are fine, I'm just curious. )

How do you mean? Rivers flow from the highlands to the sea. As they do so, they are joined by other smaller rivers / runoff from rain / other sources of water so that they are wider upon reaching the sea than when they started because they are carrying more water. Does that help? (Many apologies if this sounds sarcastic, I just genuinely don't understand what you're asking)

Guild Member Facebook Connected Alex's Avatar

Dream3r, Seleucus I did make the rivers run from "inland" down to the "ocean", and not "ocean up inland". Of course, that's if I understand you.

As for the map Seleucus, I like it and can't wait to see more updates. I also like the water, reminds me of something I just can't put my finger on. Hmm..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast