Thread: Completely lost in Giide's "Ascension's Atlas Style Maps" for GIMP

Question Completely lost in Giide's "Ascension's Atlas Style Maps" for GIMP

Has anyone used this tutorial before? I downloaded the PDF, along with the original Photoshop version, as it has the actual instruction on it, but when I tried to follow the steps I just got completely lost halfway through step 1. I don't know if it's not telling me exactly what I need to be doing with my layers, or if I'm misreading something but if anyone can give me any pointers I would love it.

I get about halfway in to step 1, the part where you make the all-grey layer called "Clip", then move on to drawing the continent over it on another layer. The trouble is, I can't see that other layer because it is under the grey, and moving that layer on top hides the grey. I have no idea what I have done wrong and I seem to be the only one to have encountered a problem with it...

Any love out there for a guy on his first map?

Hey there AaFen, we're all of us, full of love for the new guy here. OK, so prior to creating the new "Coastline" layer (which should sit atop the Clip layer), you should have had used the Fuzzy Select tool to select the grey area of the clip layer. So when you create the new layer above the Clip layer, the next step is to fill the new Coastline layer with black. It won't really matte that you can't see the clip layer any longer, because once you fill the Coastline layer (which should still have the selection on) with black you will have your initial black and white map outline on that layer. Hope that helped.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I'm not sure what you're talking about, there hasn't been any mention of a "Coastline" layer so far. Only "Ocean", "Noise", and "Clip".

My hiccup is happening in 1.e) if that helps...

Oh I see, I thought you were having trouble with 1.g. OK so once you've created the new grey "Clip" layer (which goes above the Noise layer in the layers stack), and you've set the layer mode of the Clip layer to "Multiply", you should see some of the white from the Noise layer peaking through the grey. If not, I'm not sure what the problem is, but check to make sure the layer mode of Clip really is set to Multiply. Now, on the noise layer, follow Gidde's directions for air-brushing in the land area. You should see the white clouds begin to pop up visibly through the grey clip layer.

Ah, see I missed the "Multiply" step. Thanks a bunch!