Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: old parchment

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Default old parchment

Old parchment texture

I thought I’d post up a tutorial for the method I use to make old stained parchment for use as a base on maps and other projects. I work with Photoshop though I’m sure the techniques used here can be used on other software like Gimp.

So to start, pick a size for the image. I tend to work in 300 dpi as I often print the resultant images and that’s the best resolution to go with for print. If you’re only going to use them on-screen you can go down to 100 dpi. For this example I’m using a standard A4 size, though can use anything.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	step 1.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	47503

Add a second layer, call it ‘Base’ and fill it with a good parchment colour. You can use anything though I used ede0c6 or mine.

Name:	step 2.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	47504

Add three layers on top of this, naming them (from top-down), ‘light’, ‘medium’ and ‘dark’, respectively. Fill them with progressively darker colours, like khaki, tan to dark brown. For mine I used e9c78a, b99c5e, and 372b24 respectively.

Name:	step 3.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	47505

Add a layer mask (reveal all) to the three layers as well as clipping masks to the ‘Base’ layer.

Name:	step 4.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	47495

Apply a Filter -> Render -> Clouds to the ‘light’, ‘medium’, and ‘dark’ layers. Now here comes the interesting part. Make sure the mask on the ‘light’ layer is selected (rather than the layer itself) and go to Image -> Adjustments -> Levels. The captured dialog will appear:

Name:	step 5.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	47496

Moving the black slider (on the left) to the right increases the black in the image. Moving the white slider (on the right) to the left increases the white. Since we’re doing this on a reveal all mask layer, the black will hide the layers colour. Chose an amount you’re comfortable with. Went with values of 98 and112 for black and white, respectively.

Name:	step 6.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	47497

Do the same for the other two layers, choosing more black for the ‘medium’ layer, and again more for the ‘dark’ layer, respectively. You should end up with something like this:

Name:	step 7.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	47498

Now, use Filter -> Blur -> Gaussian Blur on each of the layer masks. I used 5.0 on mine, though can use whatever looks right to you, even changing the amounts on each of the three layers. The masks are looking a bit too prominent, so I changed the opacity of the layers, decreasing as I got darker. I went for 60%, 50%, 40%, respectively on mine.

Attachment 47499

Now it’s time to add some detail. I added a rock texture (using a default photoshop rock texture) and two layers above it, ‘Noise’ and ‘Burn’. Both layers were filled with 50% grey with the layer mode set to soft light (which makes 50% grey ‘invisible’, making it great for adding subtle effects). The texture layer mode was set to Linear burn with an opacity of 25%.

Name:	step 9.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	47500

Make sure the ‘Burn’ layer is selected and, use the burn tool to make the edges darker, as you’d expect with old paper. Now select the ‘Noise’ layer and add use Filter -> Noise -> Add Noise and use a monochromatic Gaussian noise. I set mine to around 10%.

Name:	step 10.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	47501

Looking at the paper, the layer masks are still somewhat prominent, so I played around with the opacities> I also grabbed a large soft-edged eraser, and erased parts of the centre of the ‘light’, ‘medium’, and ‘dark’ layers, making sure the layers and not the masks were selected. The great thing about this is that you can turn it into an action to make textured pages very quickly. Add some nice grunge brushes to this (which you can use in black/white on a 50% grey soft light layer) and you’ll end up with something like this:

Name:	step 11.jpg 
Views:	484 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	47502

Hope this helps
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 08-13-2012 at 05:18 AM.

Interesting.
    Do you have a drawing using a parchment like this so I can see it in a final product?
    My first reaction is that the patterns look a little too harsh - more like a camo paint job than the soft blurs of paper, but I can't really tell from just a blank paper.
    Last edited by atpollard; 08-13-2012 at 03:44 PM.

the one in the last image is pretty indicative of my preferred style though you can always decrease the opacity on the three masked layers and/or make the texture layer less obvious. ill post some examples when I have access to them, later today

that's great - there's a lot of options for variation by leaving whole steps out or messing about with colours, fills and opacities.

I do a very similar thing with a couple of large brushes derived from canvas and watercolor paper ink blots I made and then scanned/edited. Might try this technique out as well. Pretty nifty. =)
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

some examples:

Name:	page-25.jpg 
Views:	21448 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	47600Click image for larger version. 

Name:	page-32.jpg 
Views:	5490 
Size:	825.5 KB 
ID:	47601Click image for larger version. 

Name:	page-33.jpg 
Views:	2039 
Size:	887.1 KB 
ID:	47602

I live up in the mountains, down in a cave, way out west.
    Blog Entries

Any advice on how to add tattered edges or wear/fold marks? Just for giggles I think it would be fun to have a wine stain in one corner and some burn marks where pipe ash fell onto the page. Can't you just see Gandalf spilling something on the parchments of Minas Tirith as he's frantically searching for the truth of the One Ring? [curses softly and dabs at the spill with his sleeve as the ink runs, essentially erasing a part of Middle Earth history]

Quote Originally Posted by Realmwright View Post
    Any advice on how to add tattered edges or wear/fold marks? Just for giggles I think it would be fun to have a wine stain in one corner and some burn marks where pipe ash fell onto the page. Can't you just see Gandalf spilling something on the parchments of Minas Tirith as he's frantically searching for the truth of the One Ring? [curses softly and dabs at the spill with his sleeve as the ink runs, essentially erasing a part of Middle Earth history]
    Check out this (really old) tutorial of mine: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...using-the-Gimp

-Rob A>

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

This is worth a try

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast