Thread: How do I get Fractal Terrains to Generate Deserts?

Question How do I get Fractal Terrains to Generate Deserts?

I'm currently working on building a planet in Fractal Terrains. I'm using the earth settings for Physically-based Base Temperature (23 degree tilt, albedo = 0.3, 1 sun, Greenhouse = 1.1) with 100 cm/year rainfall and random amount set to 80. Fractal terrains seems to be unwilling to generate areas with a desert climate. I've created very large continents (11000km by 11000km) and have also generated and placed mountain ranges in such a way that rain shadows desert should form. The only way I've been able to get a desert to show without drawing it in myself was by lowering the rainfall amount to something like 20cm/yr.

I guess my question is, am I missing something that might cause FT to exhibit the behavior I need or do I need to place the deserts myself?

As it states in the manual (or at least it used to), FT won't do anything resembling heat or moisture transport. These features account for most of the locations of deserts on Earth. They certainly account for rain shadow deserts and those due to distance from the ocean. You'll need to place those deserts yourself by adjusting rainfall levels. The selection tools should help out for the activities you'll need to perform.

Ah, ok thank you. It's plenty easy to modify the climate myself, it was just bugging me that I might be missing out on some of FTs capabilities.