Map Celena

Finished Map:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CelenaLg.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	47517

Created in: Photoshop

Notes: Celena is a sort of 17thC temperate mid-European country (pseudo-french feel) for a RPG game I'm running soon. I came to this project a PS & mapping novice and created the basic map using Ascension's awesome atlas tutorial.. but by the end I'd tried a few new things of my own (like trying for a 'placed' forest that was visible but still not harshly edged) and my confidence in using PS and mapping in general has grow exponentially over the last few weeks because of the help and encouragement I've found here! Thanks guys!!

Original WIP thread: Caleena (even the name changed slightly along the way!)

Looks good Fifty, great job!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Nice work.
    Ascension's ongoing contributions are invaluable, however I find Ascension's tute work a little arbitrary when it comes to RPG world creation. It Looks pretty but it is up to you as the gm to make the world work for your campaign.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Thanks

Tho I must say I didn't find it particularly arbitrary. I knew I wanted a coutry with sea on south and west an land to the north and East with a mountain range running for most of the western edge with two large rivers joining near them before I started. So I just made sure that's what bit of white vs dark I selected for the base, then moved a couple of mountains at the early stages and hey presto came out just what I needed!

...for them that's interested this was my little write-up bit for my clubs new season of gaming that started me needing a map:
    L'Tonnerre

The small town looked quite peaceful from up here on the craggy mountain path, nestled in the bosom of the valley where the tributaries of the Troun and the S’velle joined. The night lights glinting from windows un-shuttered in the warm evening air made the place appear like a cluster of sparkling jewels hung from the purple ribbon of the river waters.. and there, just north of the centre, the brightest jewel of them all – the grand mansion of the L’vesque family.

Above, not even a wisp of cloud obscured the stars or the moon in its smallest sliver, and for a moment it seemed as though the sky itself wore a bright blue smile as it looked down.

A breath of wind suddenly stirred from the pass behind and the horse beneath him snorted quietly. Shaking himself from his reverie he looked down to the dark form of the captain leaning on his musket on the road beside him.

“We can afford no mistakes Captain, for each one might stand against our future successes.” He looked back towards the sleeping town. “Half your men to the north with me, the others to the south with you. Take the garrison first, then see to the rest of the town, I will deal with L‘vesque and their familière.” He looked back at the captain, holding his gaze for a moment “..and tell your men again, we hold the commoners no ill will, but for this task we can spare no mercy... tonight no-one must be left alive.”

... ...

The winds of change blow through Celena, propelling the players into a maelstrom of politics, action and adventure.

A C17th-ish era fantasy setting where pistol and sword, cunning and determination, must contend with the powerful aristocrat dynasties, whose ancient bloodlines still hold the gift of Sorcelli.

I’ll be using a mish-mash of D6 system and a bucket of home-brew rules ..so there!

....also for completeness here's a version i did for one of my pending players who's somewhat vision impaired:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CelenaER.1.0.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	47539

I asked if he needed the geographical details 'simplifying' as well but he said that for him at least he gets a really good 'jist' from the terrain from maps like this as they are, just struggles when fine details like names aren't very contrasted from the background.. which my original map rather deliberately was!!

Very nice map, Ascencion's tutorial is very good indeed. Don't know why, but this map reminds me of Final Fantasy .-.