Thread: City of Maldorra

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default City of Maldorra

Right, long time no post. Just started this today, a map of the capital city in the fantasy series I'm working on (first book is almost done, wheee! I so excited).

Anyways, Maldorra is the largest city on the entire continent and is quite a marvel of engineering (both magical and non-magical). Basically, there's this huge cliff that separates the upper and lower portions of the province it is set in. The city is at the base of the cliff, and cut into the stone at the top of the cliff are these huge cisterns. There is a combination aqueduct/waterway that feeds into the cisterns and allows for boat traffic starting from up in a mountain range several hundred kilometers away (when these people build things, they build them big). There are canal locks that cut through and divide the largest of the cisterns in half (so there's technically four of them), and a large canal that encircles the main portions of the city, with another canal lock and near sea level canal leading away from the city to a bay several miles away. The water collected is use for a large number of things, from plumbing in the city to providing irrigation and drinking water to farmers around the city for miles.

So right now I have the positioning for the cisterns and canals. Working on building placement right now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maldorra.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	702.4 KB 
ID:	47518  

Minor update, got some buildings placed and some basic backdrop colors. Also color coded rail lines that will probably be altered for the final version. There is a rail system that spans the entire continent in the story, and Maldora has the largest station and most lines passing through it, being the capitol and all.

Kinda unsure how I'm going to do the cliff though, so open to any and all suggestions on that.

Name:	maldorra copy.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	47534  

Almost finished with building placement. Still have the lower portion of the interior of the city to do and then all the 'planned' portions will be done.

Name:	maldorra cop2y.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	47572  

Why the pointy building plans?
    As a practical matter, will these buildings end up cave-like (no windows - no natural light and ventilation)?
    I would suggest, perhaps, adding some light wells between buildings (if not an actual back yard).

Given your description, the 'wall' between the upper cistern/lakes and the lower canal should be thicker (to hold back the weight of all that water). Probably around the width of the canal. [Hoover Dam might be a good place to start looking for ideas.]

... but it is YOUR vision, so only you know what you have in mind.
    Last edited by atpollard; 08-17-2012 at 07:54 AM.

@ atpollard - The lines for the buildings are placeholders pretty much, and don't reflect the finished sizes. Though now they are color coded so I can remember which section is which. As for the cisterns, I've thickened the walls a bit, though they're going to get adjusted further once I finish with the buildings.

I found some very awesome tile textures over on DeviantArt that I'm using for the roofs and walls. You can find them here.

Name:	maldorra copy3.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	3.73 MB 
ID:	47639