Thread: Hello cartographers, would you care to help out a GIMP noob?

Question Hello cartographers, would you care to help out a GIMP noob?

Hello! I got on this site because I want to make some beautiful maps for my DnD campaign, and this seemed like a great place to start. GIMP seemed like a highly recommended program, so i downloaded it, read a few tutorials, and got to work! But i've already run into what i'm sure is a very noobish problem. I tried to make an animated brush for mountains, trees, hills, ect. by making 8-9 samples of the objects with transparent layers, but when I try to save them into my brushes by going to the top left corner, using save as, and then making the file a .gif, but I can't get it to show up in my brush dialogue! In fact, I don't even seem to have a brush folder to save it to! Just pictures, documents, desktop, ect. Sorry if this belongs in a different place, but please, help this GIMP noob out!

Hi there Koala and welcome to the Guild! First off, which version of GIMP are you using? If you are using version 2.8 the you will need to use the "Export" rather than "Save as" feature since the "save as" will only save .xcf files. If you are using version 2.6 or below though then it is fine to use the "save as" feature (there is no export feature for 2.6 and older versions.

Second, if you are correct in that you do need to export/save the .gif file in the brushes folder which, if you are using windows, ought to be located under: Users > GIMP 2.6 or 2.8 > Brushes. When you hit the save as or export feature it should pull up a pop up window and you should be able to find your Users folder on the "Places" section.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thank you so much, arsheesh! I'm using version 2.6, and the Users>GIMP 2.6>brushes worked like a charm! Again, thanks for the quick reply!

My pleasure.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Not to be a bother, but now that I got that brush to save, I haven't been able to get anouther one to save, and i've been doing the exact same thing (besides the name of course). What am i missing here?

Quote Originally Posted by TheKoalaNxtDoor View Post
    Not to be a bother, but now that I got that brush to save, I haven't been able to get anouther one to save, and i've been doing the exact same thing (besides the name of course). What am i missing here?
    Is there an error or something you could provide? How do you know it doesn't save? (You have to refresh your brush pallette to see newly saved brushes, btw...)

-Rob A>