Thread: Jade Regent Map Folio wins Gold Ennie for best Cartography

Default Jade Regent Map Folio wins Gold Ennie for best Cartography

While I cannot take any official credit, I did create the original hand-drawn map of the city of Kasai, one of the 4 maps of that folio. It's got to be worth something!

http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5ldtg?Jade-Regent-Map-Folio-has-won-the-gold-Ennie-for...

This is the original hand-drawing (low res) though I used a 36" x 54" piece of paper to draw the original.

The fortress and samurai area - far right side, was drawn about 2 weeks after everything else, and with a different pen, which is why its darker. It was intended as a concept map only, however, the final full color version in the map folio has no changes to what was originally drawn by hand.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kasai-hand-small.jpg 
Views:	1462 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	47613
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 08-18-2012 at 12:13 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I think the hand-drawn style is great. Can you give me a rough idea of the scale?

Congrats GP, that is pretty cool.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thanks, everyone!

@Ravs - I did create the original hand-drawn map, but Paizo's cartographer 'finished' the map so that it appeared in the same styles as the other maps. However, no changes were made in my design in any way with the finished map.

@Thurlor - see the 'block' rectangle at the center of the map (the one not against the river, but just west of the southwest corner of the fortress district on the far right), the width east to west, plus the width of a canal on side is a total of 1000 feet. That's the closest scale I can depict. Of course as my map was hand-drawn only, there was no need for labels at my stage of cartography.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 08-21-2012 at 10:28 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations